Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I've owned this model 29-3 for a couple years now and my dad owned it about 25 years before me. I come from shooting heavy loaded ruger 44's and honestly don't know an awful lot about the smiths. I know the model 29-3 is a pre endurance package gun, and it's beautiful and don't wanna shoot it loose. Since I've owned it I've shot 240 -250 hard cast with 10 grains of unique. But last deer season I bought some 240 grain federal fusions and they worked great on the buck I killed with them. Also far more accurate than my hard cast. So I'm thinking about reloading some 240 grain xtp or similar for this deer season with 19 - 20 grains of 2400. I'm mainly thinking 1250-1300 fps out of the 8 3/8" barrel is my goal. My main question is will a pre endurance package smith hold up over the years with this load ? I usually put a few hundred rounds a year through my handguns from 25 to 100 yards practicing for deer season. She is a pristine beauty and I don't wanna shoot her guts loose. I'm not looking for the big heavyweight bullets. Also how bad is a healthy charge of h110/ win 296? Thanks for any help guys.

·
2,656 Posts
The 29-3 is a nice revolver. I have owned a decent number of "pre-endurance package" model 29's and 629's, and all have held up well to 240's at 1200 / 1300 fps. It is what the gun is designed for. I have one 29-2, bought used, that I have put several thousand warm 240 grain loads thru without issue, and that's not including thousands of lighter practice loads. Rugers like the Super Blackhawk and Redhawk may be stronger, and hold up long term better to heavy loads, but it would take a lot of shooting for the difference to become apparent.

29's got a bad rap back when Silhouette competition was popular, and shooters put hundreds of hot, heavy bullet loads thru their guns on a weekly basis. Any mechanical devise will wear with use, especially when pushed to the limit. That said, if and when wear does become apparent, it is usually a simple fix, such as replacing the hand and bolt / bolt spring, or shimming the cylinder. I would shoot it without fear with any sane magnum loads, saving your truly "hot" loads for use in your Ruger.

I like the 240 XTP bullet, and have taken a fair number of deer with it. Your goal of 1250 / 1300 fps out of an 8 3/8 inch barrel is very feasible using 2400 or W-296 / H-110 (Both the same powder). 296 / H-110 usually gives a little more velocity, along with a little more flash than 2400, along with equal, or slightly less pressures. Either powder will work fine for what you want, and should allow you to reach your velocity goal at below SAAMI pressures. You might want to look up a load of 6.0 to 6.5 grains of Red Dot powder with a 240 cast bullet as a practice load. About 900 fps, and very accurate and consistent in all my .44's using magnum brass.

Larry

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bigeasy. I'll give the red dot a shot for some practice loads I have a good bit of it for my 38 special. Never thought about using it in the 44, I have used green dot though with good results but it was still around 1190 fps. Thanks for clearing up the durability of the model 29 for me though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I cannot find 2400, h110 or win 296. So I came up with some 3n37 to try out. Loading some up now at 12.5 grains shooting for 1250- 1300 fps will be awhile before I can shoot them though. One thing is for certain 3n37 throws from my powder thrower like a dream ! Extremely consistent.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts