Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I started with a Lee hand loader and went to a Dillon about 20 years ago. I am probably going to go to a single stage if/when I start loading black. My question is, do any of you use 3 or 4 presses and leave them set up for each die? I noticed the Lee stuff os cheap so this looks like a good idea for a lazy guy like me.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Howdy Cane,

Funny...I load every round of rifle & revolver cartridge I build on a Lee Hand Press! 8) (sumday I gotta break down and buy a bench mounted one ) Afore I got the Hand press I used Lee Loaders. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Old Cane, I only have one single stage press, but I've recently thought about adding that lottom of the line Lee to mount a powder compression die. Other than the additional press for the compression die, I can't see an advantage to more presses.
Your question has caused me to ponder thoughts of the Lee 4 hole turret press. Have you ever used a turret press? You know anything about them?

14 Posts
I loaded on a RCBS Rockchucker for over 20 years both white and black. Always new wre I was in the process. A good pard of mine gave me (for my birthday last year) his almost new Lee Turret press. In my way of thinking this is the ideal BP press made. I cast my own 250gr Lee PRS bullet and lube with my own lube. After crimping is complete I have a little lube on the nose of the bullet and just wipe it off and put her in the box then start another one. I get around 150 rounds an hour. I drop the powder by hand using a Lee thru powder die and a Lee dipper of the correct size for the Colt or Schoefield round, seat the bullet then in the final hole I have a Lee crimp die.

I only use 3 of the 4 holes in the press. I still like to size all my empties at one time and then reprime them using a RCBS hand primer. I do not recall having a bad or to high a primer and all cases (White and Black) have the correct amount of powder. Maybe I am just lucky. :-D

CLF

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's good to know about that type of press. I've never used one. I have a Dillon 450 and plan to use that if I load black and add powder by hand, or maybe get 3 or 4 of the the cheap single stage presses. I just don't like changing dies. I have the room so I always trye to take the lazy way out.

Do you need a compression die for pistol calibers or is that for your big rifle rounds?

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Cane, I use the compresion die for those "over yander" guns

·
Registered
221 Posts
Used ta load black on a single but I waz goin thru too much ammo ta keep up so I moved to a Load Master.

I'z got a special dohickey I made up fer stage 3 what allows me ta drop Holy Black (from a Lyman 55) and a filler (from a ol' RCBS measure) thru the expander die. The powder/filler drop ain't auto, neaither is placin the bullit, but everythang else is.

Boy kin I crank out the 44-40s now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts