Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at cz and franchi double guns in 28 ga. Reading reviews and such. Cz is Turkish franchi is Italian. I think? In just about every place I look I see someone comment on how both are cheap guns and thus won't last long. I probably won't shoot more than 1000 rounds in a year, but I do tend to shoot heavy/high velocity loads. I have shot nef/ h&r toppers and pardners since I was 12. Have had more than 7 for sure. Both brothers, and dad had em too. I barrel/stock swapped just about every one. Had to buff surface rust off one after it spent a rainy night w/me lost in the woods. Ran turkey loads through all of em. NEVER A problem. NEVER any broken ANYTHING. Most were less than a hundred bucks new. Help me understand why a $1000 shotgun should be unreliable, ..........please.???

·
Premium Member
5,142 Posts
I think some wont to say something and make it bad some people you cant please. I owned a Yalze for some time was a great o and u 400 out the door vent rib 20 gage well finished well fit wood to metal, was it as nice as the old browning's made in Belgium no but then it never had a browning price either but I was happy with it. Auto eject selective trigger nice checkering what more could you as for at the price.

Deaconllb

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Okay, I'll try. First off, I own a Tri-Star O/U (Turkish made) and have used it 3 years for grouse/woodcock hunting. So far it's been completely reliable, but I've only shot maybe an average of 2 or 3 boxes of shells per year thru it, and they were low brass.

You have to consider an O/U or SxS is much more complicated than a break open single shot. You now have one trigger (on most) that has to automatically switch to the second barrel after firing the first. A barrel selector incorporated in the safety (on most), automatic cocking hammers when you open the gun, and selective ejectors on some.

Now, the reason they're priced at $1000 or less is because the fit and finish on the internal working parts is not nearly as nice as on the average $2500 gun. They can't be or they too would cost $2000!
Quality control is usually not as good, so it can be a crapshoot when buying one - you might get a good one and you might get one that needs repair right out of the box. Also, the steel used in the internal parts may not be as good quality, or heat treated properly resulting in faster wear on the parts.

If I were considering buying one for anything approaching high volume shooting (I'd consider 1000 rounds a year high volume for the typical hunting gun) and didn't want to spend a whole bunch of money I'd definitely look for a good quality used gun. Real bargains can be found in the used market, especially if you'd be satisfied with one that doesn't have screw in chokes. Personally I don't view screw in chokes as that big a deal - most guys put in IC/M or M/F and leave the same chokes in for 95% of their hunting anyway.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have three O/U’s in my safe. The first is an Antonio Zoli that my dad bought back in the late 70’s. It cost him $400 at the time. I bought a new Winchester Supreme back in 2008. It cost me $850 At that time. I just picked up a Browning Citori that was made back in 2008 in a trade deal. All three of these guns have several things in common. They still shoot great, they have never malfunctioned and they have never had any rust on them. I would not consider any of these as unreliable.

I’m sure guns that cost $2000 to $4000 are very nice guns. However at the end of the day all they really need to do is go bang and shoot straight. All of us have our favorites for one reason or another. So someone bad mouthing a gun just because of the price is just being a snob.

Jim

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
That $400 for the Zoli back in the 70's would probably be equivalent to about $2000 in today's dollars. It wasn't a cheap gun, it was good quality.

I wasn't bad mouthing the lower priced Turkish guns (I own one!). Just saying don't expect an O/U that retails for less than $1000 to outlast a Browning or Beretta if they're shot the same amount.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I hunted pheasants with Turkish made Stevens 555 20 gauge for a few years. I never had a problem with it. My son still hunts with a CZ over/under and likes it alot.

The Turks have come a long way in building guns. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Turkish built gun! I wouldn't be afraid of anything made by Fanchi either.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Spruce, maybe using the word snob was a little harsh. I did not intend to offend anyone by saying that. I’m just the average shooter and hunter and rarely put 1,000 rounds through a shotgun. It is one thing for someone to say the fit and finish of a manufacturer of a gun is better then others. There is no question those guns are out there. It’s a whole different thing to say the lesser cost gun is unreliable. That would be the only thing I disagree with in this instance. There are a lot of those lower cost guns still shooting today that have been handed down through the families.

Jim

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
I wasn't offended at all. I've owned a lot of cheap guns over the years and almost all gave me good service.

The only point I was trying to make is that an $800 gun is not the same as a $2500 gun. Personally, I don't feel the need to spend $2500 for a shotgun that I'm going to hunt with in all kinds of weather, drag thru the brush grouse hunting, or lay in the bottom of a duck boat! My cheap Turkish O/U works just fine for that - and goes bang everytime I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks fellas for the insight. Spruce, that's what I figured I was gonna hear, but I guess I wanted to hear it from someone more experienced than myself. I'm leaning toward a franchi at this point. It's twice as much as the cz, but I really like the look of the L color case receiver, and the stock. I think it's probably the best compromise considering what I like and what I want to spend. I have seen the suggestion before about getting a used citory or Beretta, but I never took a shine to there looks. The color case on the old cz guns was very, VERY nice, but they don't do it anymore, and there Lazer checkering and re designed stocks are atrocious. They have "trimmed up" the receivers on the smaller guages, which is great, but looks......... maybe I'M a snob?!

·
Premium Member
5,142 Posts
I bought a stougers 12 gage once at a gun show used but did not show use for 250 and it was a great gun.

Deaconllb

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Soooo...... I bought a o/u shotgun. 28 ga. Franchi aspire. New in box. Straight grain dark walnut, gorgeous color case on a super slim receiver, light as a feather, and a great trigger ...on both barrels. Only thing I would change is shorter barrels. There 28". MSRP was @ $2200. I paid $1050, shipped. I bought it online, based on handling the franchi instinct in a Scheels. I like it better than the instinct I had handled previously. Pretty pleased.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
O/U

I have two O/Us.....a 20 gauge Weatherby Orion field gun that I bought used and a .410 bore ATI Cavalry O/U.
I have shot both of them extensively in the field for ruffed grouse and Pheasant and at the Trap range.
I have never had a problem of any kind with either of these guns through thousands of rounds of shooting.
Pete

·
Premium Member
9,755 Posts
Soooo...... I bought a o/u shotgun. 28 ga. Franchi aspire. New in box. Straight grain dark walnut, gorgeous color case on a super slim receiver, light as a feather, and a great trigger ...on both barrels. Only thing I would change is shorter barrels. There 28". MSRP was @ $2200. I paid $1050, shipped. I bought it online, based on handling the franchi instinct in a Scheels. I like it better than the instinct I had handled previously. Pretty pleased.
Let us know how it shoots. I've been looking at the Franchi Instinct SL in either 16 gauge or 28 gauge.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
I bought a Citori 725 for a little less than 2K from Reeds. Shipped to my local dealer.

Have a Ruger Red Label 20ga from the first year of production, the late 70s. Fixed chokes, Mod and IC. They offered the 12 gauge a few years later. It is my favorite of my two OUs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts