Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Ford Ranger 4 cyl, auto transmission, without cruise control. I would like to get an aftermarket cruise control put on it; is this a routine job for most mechanics..or it a pain, both installation and dependable use ? If it is feasible ,how much should the whole job cost, including parts?

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
jmo- if you don't need it for reasons of health or
the like , i'd forego having any put on.
just one more expense to drain your wallet.
repairs are seldom cheap on cruise control systems

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Ranger99 said:
jmo- if you don't need it for reasons of health or
the like , i'd forego having any put on.
just one more expense to drain your wallet.
repairs are seldom cheap on cruise control systems

I agree. Aftermarket cruise is expensive and unreliable. The kits that will work on your truck start at about $250 and go up. If you want someone else to install it, you're going to have a hard time finding a reputable tech willing to put his neck on the line due to liability because of previous track records. Factory equipment will get into big money if the truck wasn't originally equipped with it.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
ironglow said:
Sounds like if I want it, I would be better off swapping for something that came from the factory with cruise control.
again just me, i'd forego it if you can.
most frequently replaced parts on factory cruise - cruise module- about $300.00 plus diag and labor
cruise servo - about $300.00 plus diag and labor
none of the dealers i've ever worked at would mess
with installing add-on cruise. the factory installed
cruise costs enough to repair as it is.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sears used to sell and install after market cruise control units. Had them put one on my Dads motor home but that was 35 years ago. Don't know if they even have auto centers anymore.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reason for cruise; I plan on doing some travelling, and the leg gets crampy after a while. Then again, there is little risk of tickets because of the speed creeping up.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
ironglow said:
Sounds like if I want it, I would be better off swapping for something that came from the factory with cruise control.

You got it! Probably cheaper in the long run. I still travel a lot! Just did a bit over 4,000 miles in a week. 1,100 miles the first day and 1,100 the last with a lot of puttering around the days in between. One of the most dangerous things on the roads today is someone who can't hold an even speed on the open road. Cruise is great for eliminating this problem when used properly. In traffic or other tight places, cruise can kill you quick though too.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually, I was faced with a dilemma. I had to place my wife of 59 years in a nursing home in October past. I do quite often take her out to dinner or home to be with family. This made for a wet, snow covered wheel chair stowed in the back. Couple trhat with a desire to travel and visit distant family members and old Army buddies..and I had to go back to a car.
I bought a 2014 Kia Forte, with of course, cruise control. The mileage will help for travel, and mom's chair will stay dry. In winter cold, around local and idling for long minutes to warm up..I only get 30 to 32 mpg, but when travelling on a highway trip, it gets between 38.5 and 42 mpg..usually the lower figure. That's not hard to take.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
glad to hear things worked out for you
with your transportation woes

·
Registered
666 Posts
ironglow said:
Actually, I was faced with a dilemma. I had to place my wife of 59 years in a nursing home in October past. I do quite often take her out to dinner or home to be with family. This made for a wet, snow covered wheel chair stowed in the back. Couple trhat with a desire to travel and visit distant family members and old Army buddies..and I had to go back to a car.
I bought a 2014 Kia Forte, with of course, cruise control. The mileage will help for travel, and mom's chair will stay dry. In winter cold, around local and idling for long minutes to warm up..I only get 30 to 32 mpg, but when travelling on a highway trip, it gets between 38.5 and 42 mpg..usually the lower figure. That's not hard to take.
That's good ironglow. I'm glad that worked out well for you! Good luck with it!
scout4

1 - 15 of 15 Posts