·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ARE ALL GEN 1 S.S. FRAMES HARD TOO OPEN, IF SO IS THERE A FIX MOYZ

·
Registered
90 Posts
All the stainless steel frame start with the easy open version. There is also an Armor Alloy finish frame and barrels which have the serial numbers that start with AAxxxx they require a different size lug pin and other finishes do not match well with them

·
Registered
154 Posts
The original Contender frames were rather hard to open, so T/C redesigned the frames to the “EZ Open” types. That was over 40 years ago, and at one time T/C offered to modify older frames to the EZ frames. But non-blued frames should all be the EZ Open type. Is yours a stainless frame or an Armor Alloy frame? A photo of your frame could help with a suggestion. The G2 frames are completely different.

·
Registered
642 Posts
once you go G2, there is no hard or some what EZ open they open so easy

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have the original box with label on end of box serial no.18xxx dated 8/31/94
CONTENDER FRAME W/GRIP & BULL FOREND SS W/RYNITE frame has
engraved head of mountain lion this frame is not easy to open have only one
barrel 35 REM never tried another barrel MOYZ

·
Registered
154 Posts
If it was made in 1994 in stainless and has the plastic stock then it has the EZ Open frame. If it is difficult to open there is a different problem, this is usually caused by using an older barrel with the one-piece bolt. Replacing that with a two-piece bolt will usually fix the problem.

Virtually all Contenders had the puma etching.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Pics are the easiest way to describe it. This first pic is an easy open frame, notice the trigger pin hinge hole directly above the trigger:

Revolver Trigger Font Bicycle part Wood

This next pic is a non-easy open early generation frame:

Hand Wood Personal protective equipment Font Nickel

If your frame looks like the one in the first pic with trigger hinge pin directly above the frame, it’s opening as easy as it will ever be. If it’s like the bottom pic, opening can be more difficult with the different type locking lugs that are on barrels (some split lugs, some are solid one piece lugs).

Full disclosure I got these pics from google image search and they are not mine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After reading all post with pic my Contender should be easy open, trigger hinge pin directly above trigger.
Looks like my problem is with older barrel, so I guess l'will be in market for another barrel.
Will post a WTB for ss 7-30 waters

·
Registered
154 Posts
Does the OP’s barrel have a one-piece bolt or a two-piece? If the former, he may solve his hard-opening by simply replacing the bolt with the more modern one. No need to buy another barrel without checking first, but it’s his money.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes, AZ is right…check the locking lugs on the barrel first. You need to have the split lugs in it for optimum opening. Here is what split lugs look like:

Jewellery Auto part Metal Circuit component Fashion accessory

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gentleman I again would like to thank you for all your help and knowledge AZ Nimrod & predator_huntin your willingness to help
is a great asset to this forum. I have tried to post pic hope they come out 5 new photos by drew moiseMOYZ

·
Registered
399 Posts
Those do look like split lugs. Possibly some light stoning could be done to help it some but I’ve never had to do that in 30 years of TC’s and I can’t in good faith recommend for you to do that. Do you have another contender you can compare the difficulty of opening with or is this your only one?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts