Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting back into the TC's again. First 14" barrel I've owned. Question is , is there a tightening sequence on the forend for a two screw setup ? It seems only logical there would be. Thanks in advance.

irold

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have never heard of, or used a sequence on tightening the forearms. I do use a small washer between the barrel inserts and the forearm to seperate the forearm from the barrel, where they do not touch each other to cause pressure points. Some people use O-rings, but I feel like the washers do a more secure job.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never heard of, or used a sequence on tightening the forearms. I do use a small washer between the barrel inserts and the forearm to seperate the forearm from the barrel, where they do not touch each other to cause pressure points. Some people use O-rings, but I feel like the washers do a more secure job.
Huh , well ok. I'll give it a try. Haven't shot it yet. Will see how it groups .... maybe not worry about it if it shoots well enough. Thanks for your info.
irold

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
If you are concerned. MrMurl is right. O rings or washers are the starting point. Making sure the ears on the forend not touching the frame another. I stop at the O rings as I’m not shooting any competitions. We could chase it down the rabbit hole butt then maybe ya should drop more money into your gear... I don’t think torqueing the bolts consistently would hurt if that’s your question...

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply . No , not really concerned. Just trying to do things the right way. I'm well aware the improper tightening of a rifle stock will certainly mess with the group size ... been there done that. So , I was just wondering about the 2 screws of the Contender forend ? So , what I'm getting out of this is just float the forend off the barrel with something ... the rubber 'O" ring sounds like the best way. again thanks.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
For many years I've used 3/4" squares cut out of old plastic shot shells with a 1/4" inch (I think) hole punched in the center. I place these on the barrel with the screw boss through the hole and put on the fore end. I torque the screws finger tight and shoot.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey , Hopalong? That sounds good. But due to my lack of plastic shot shells ..... The "o" rings are easy enough to come by , I'll try those. As you said : " and shoot " . I'm not trying for record groups .... thinking " minute of deer ". Thanks for your reply.
irold

1 - 7 of 7 Posts