Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what Sch'dy County residents think/feel about any caliber center-fire rifle use for deer in our area. It is now legal. Personally I am opposed. I know how the locals hunt around my community and to think even AR style rifles can now be used is IMHO DANGEROUS. I also think it will scare off property owners who allow hunting on their parcels.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
rebAL: Personally I think it is about time and switching from shotgun to centerfire rifle is not a concern, or at least should not be a concern. Anyone who will miss with a shotgun will miss with a rifle but that doesn't mean the bullet will travel for miles until it hits someone's house and winds up in their morning oatmeal, or worse.

And truly, it matters not which style rifle is used, a M16 type or M14 type or even a old M1 Garand or a Kalashnikov as here in the state of nanny york your mag can hold only 5 rounds for hunting. In essence it turns all those military style rifles into a Remington autoloader or one of some other make.

And please think of this - a rifle bullet that penetrates through a Whitetail at 100 - 250 yds is not going to continue on its straight and level course until it gets to Cleveland, it is going to exit and tumble or be turned off course or hit the ground shortly after exiting the Whitetail. If you are in a tree stand the slug will probably drive right into the ground just or immediately after exiting. If the shot is taken straight on the bullet will still deflect after exiting or will have impacted the Whitetail hard enough to lose so much of its energy that it will impact the ground in about 50 yds,just like a shotgun slug would.

I do not believe hunting with rifles is any more dangerous than hunting with a shotgun. I plan on hunting my area with a 444 Marlin caliber Winchester lever action - most of my loads are heavy, for dangerous game as the 444 is my main hog rifle, but even those heavier slugs won't fly the magic mile after a impact, they will drop in about 50 yds. And I doubt that anyone in Albany is going to complain about rifle bullets originating in sch'dy county dropping through their roof or putting a hole in their backyard kiddie pool.

You may be correct in that it may frighten some property owners to ban hunting on their lands but we will have to see if sch'dy county hunters who use rifles will or can keep hunting accidents below last years levels in those other counties that had gone from shotgun to rifle. I hope they can. I would like to see this work.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Rule #1 of hunting is to be sure of your target and beyond.
Doesn't matter whether the tool is a bow and arrow or 7mm Rem Mag. The safety device rests between the user's ears.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Groovy said:
Rule #1 of hunting is to be sure of your target and beyond.
Doesn't matter whether the tool is a bow and arrow or 7mm Rem Mag. The safety device rests between the user's ears.
Better words of wisdom never spoken.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can clearly remember a question asked in a firearms safety course I took long ago. "What's more dangerous; a shotgun or a rifle? Answer: They are both equally danger at close ranges. That's not my words, but those of a qualified safety instructor. I don't believe anything has changed since then.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Mikey; Did not mean to preach. If you analyze the answer as to what is more dangerous a rifle or a shotgun, the implication is that at longer ranges the rifle is more dangerous. This is the point of the question as to opening up populated areas to rifle use. Again, this is from a safety instructor. Given this was prior to sabots and rifled barrels but I still believe rifles are more dangerous in populated areas.

·
Registered
308 Posts
rebAL said:
...but I still believe rifles are more dangerous in populated areas.
why? the only possible explanation I can come up with is if you believe a bullet from a rifle is more likely to have an unintended trajectory. Thus my post. Its not the tool (are you listening Gov. Cuomo?) - safety is up to the user. A responsible hunter with a rifle is just as safe as a responsible hunter with a shotgun. With one bullet or 30..........................

1 - 8 of 8 Posts