Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As mentioned below by another- I also picked up a gun through Buds that I now notice has a REP stamped on the barrel. Bore looks good, the blue is actually better than my other barrels. Fit is excellent- has a SYN- MC checkered stock & forearm. The length of pull is 13 1/8". I have not fired it yet.
I was wondering about the experiences of others with REP marked guns. The length of pull is strange- half way between adult and youth but feels good. I wonder what the defect repaired might have been??

·
Super Moderator
51,508 Posts
REP doesn't mean repaired, it stands for "Remington English Proof".

Tim

Brian56 said:
The barrel stamping (REP) in an oval circle stands for (Remington English Proof). All rifles & shotguns made at the plant will have this stamping. Also any factory fit barrels will also have this proof stamp. This marking shows that this barrel has passed proof testing. The H&R Gardner barrels will only have a (P) stamp on them, it means the same thing.

[email protected]:

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks , I had not read that anywhere. The gun seems overall excellent, seems to have been dusty- cardboard dust perhaps, had the CBA prefix so is recent. I cleaned it up and should have it up and running before Christmas.

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It also was a 35 Whelan. I have several with the "P" marking but none other with the REP on the barrel. It is a SYN-MC stock, and feels good. I have some 225 Sierra BT loaded up for a Rem 700 that chamber nicely so I will shoot some test loads asap. I do not intend to Hot Rod this Whelan, just try to find an accurate mid level load. I should have it scoped in a week or so, scope and rings being ordered tomorrow. BTW- Simmons has a rebate offer @ Midway-- I will have the scope and rings shipped free for just over 1/2 the normal price of the scope. ;D

·
Super Moderator
51,508 Posts

·
Super Moderator
51,508 Posts
I'm pretty sure they use an over pressure proof load, not sure of the % overpressure spec tho, that's something Brian would have to share.

Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts