Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Veral,

I have a new Ruger Redhawk stainless 44 mag. and want to shoot cast bullets exclusively in it. I have fired 50 jacketed bullets and approximately 200 .430 cast bullets through the revolver. I have some slight leading and ordered your push through slugs and lapping compound to get things started. Using the push throughs, the bore measures .4290 at the muzzle (with micrometer) with no restrictions. It does have some roughness in the bore. The push through slug still measures .429 after being pushed completely through the bore. The cylinder throats are all .4300 to .4305. I'm wondering, since I can feel no restrictions, should I just polish the bore with your compound or should I fire lap? I feel that I should probably do a little fire-lapping to clean the bore up quickly. If I fire lap, how many fire-lap rounds would you start with? Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
26,211 Posts
Veral hasn't visited here in over a year. Isn't likely to be back any time soon. If you need to ask him a question you should either e-mail him or call him. You also might post it in the reloading area for site member's input.

Also visit with us at: Graybeard Outdoors (GBO Reloaded) - Index

·
23,750 Posts
do you have actual leading that is lumpy looking or effects accuracy or are you talking a light grey wash that gets no worse. If its the latter i wouldnt lap your barrel. Ive got handguns that will show a light wash after 50 rounds and never get worse. Matter of fact John Linebaugh used to preach you shouldnt even work up loads for accuracy on a clean barrel. he recomended putting 50 rounds down the pipe first and his barrels are some of the best youll find. Lapping is a last ditch efford for a bad barrel. What your doing is not only taking metal off the high spots but wearing on the entire barrel. Have you tried pc coated bullets in it. that usually cures normal leading. I have handguns that have had well over a 1000 rounds through them between cleanings. Matter of fact its rare i take a brush to a cast bullet shooting handgun. If anything clean your gun real well and shoot another 50-100 jacketed bullets through it cleaning about every 24 shot and if that doesnt take care of it id be hauling it to a used gun rack

·
Super Moderator
11,103 Posts
Before you sell your revolver "down the river", shoot it as lloyd recommends:
clean your gun real well and shoot another 50-100 jacketed bullets through it cleaning about every 24 shot
. If that "fails" to achieve your end goal, shoot one (1) boolit of Veral's lapping compound and shoot lloyd's method again. If that "fails" too, try a 2nd boolit of Veral's lapping compound. The gun's "Sweet Spot" should show up in very short order.

·
23,750 Posts
if you insist on it go to napa and buy a tub of valve lapping compound add a bit of oil place a dap a a piece of glass or steel take another one and sandwich the bullet and roll it back and forth. For probably less then the price of some ready made bullets you can make 10s of thousands of them. Like i said though some have an unrealisitic idea about what constitutes leading. Unless it effects accuracy dont worry about it. Honesty ive lapped a few handguns and proabaly a half a dozen rifles with tubbs lapping bullets and found the only thing it did was lighten my wallet. back 20 years or so ago i used to shoot every handgun i bought new with 200 jacketed bullets before i shot cast. I was told that was THE thing to do. Even that only lightened my wallet. Might have helped back 50 years ago when there were guns with shoddy barrels routinely made. Today its rare to find one that isnt ready to go right out of the shop. Bottom line too is if your spending money on hard to find jacketed bullets to smoothen out your bore you can do the exact same thing with a hard cast bullet with a gas check.

·
Super Moderator
11,103 Posts
I went to the "if he don't have it I don't need it" hardware store near me (truly a supplier to the Launch Complex Contractors and NASA) to look at their lapping compounds. First and foremost they were EXPENSIVE and the smallest quantity, a 4 oz. tube/bar/tub, is 10,000 times more compound than I would ever need. Mainly, the "grit" of those compounds was far too course for use in a gun barrel.

Valve lapping compound can be found in the range of 600 to 1200 grit (ymmv). It'll cut your barrel metal up in short order. Don't go there. Your LGS might have "starter packs" of FLITZ, which is a 6000 grit polishing compound. Then there are compounds in between and finer than these two.

I found this on a knife maker's (sharpening) forum, which has a relative bearing for gun barrels:
Most people will finish on a stone that is around 1000 - 2000 grit for pocket knives and around 8000 - 12000 for straight razors
If you want to RUIN a gun barrel, choose a course grit. If you want to polish the lands and grooves in your barrel, use something greater than 3,000!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies. The leading wasn't big lumps and looked as if it was attaching to rough spots in the bore. Sort of looked like it was "splashed" in there. I get no leading using gas checked bullets and the leading that I got with plain based 16 BHN slugs didn't seem to get worse as I went through 50 rounds. But it was present and I used the copper Chore Boy on an old bore brush to remove it quickly. BTW, the 16 BHN slugs were some that I purchased with a hard lube on them. They were pushed to around 1200 fps. I have fired powder coated bullets with no leading as well. I do want to start casting my own, as I have a couple hundred pounds of WW+2% Sn just waiting to be used. I may just order some gas checked bullet molds and have fun with it.

·
23,750 Posts
you dont have a problem to worry about. Shoot the snot out of it and when you make your own use a soft lube or better yet pc and dont worry about it. If that light leading bothers you shoot a couple jacketed bullets through it when your done or ever a cylinder full of gas checked bullet loads. Ive got handguns that have never seen a cleaning brush.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts