Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about a bolt action in 22 Hornet. So far, my main choices are either a Ruger 77/22 or a Browning A-Bolt Micro Hunter. How is the quality of each of these rifles and which would you recommend?

My main reasons for this choice of caliber are that it is extremely compact, inexpensive to reload, very fun to shoot, and also capable of excellent accuracy. I'm intending to use it as a tool to practice different shooting positions, possible medium range varmint/predator hunting (haven't got into that just yet) and for plinking. I do know that Ruger uses a rotary magazine, but what kind of magazine does the Micro Hunter have? I saw that the Ruger has a 1 in 14" rate of twist; whereas the Browning has a 1 in 16" rate of twist. What would be the ideal bullet weight for each one? Thanks.

:D
-Patriot

·
Administrator
26,056 Posts
The Browning is also most likely to have a .223" barrel rather than the now standard .224" and when using .224" bullets it will run pressures out the roof using book loads. Been there done that with a LW Hornet. So if you get the Browning be sure to stick to .223" bullets (darn hard to find) or don't even think about max book loads in it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
22 hornet

I would suggest getting a CZ in 22 hornet. I had the american version in that calibur and it was a dream to load for and shoot. The rifle was very accurate and not particular about what it liked. Shot most loads well. I had a Ruger 22 hornet. It was a good looking gun. It was the heavy barrel laminated stock model. Looked good but was one of the most inacurate rifles I have ever wasted my money on. I could not recommend the Rugur. I would also consider an H&R single shot in 22 hornet. Had one of those to and it shot very well.
Nebraska Kelly

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Bolt Action Rifles

Patriot_1776

I have the Ruger 77/22 hornet and don't have any complaints with it. The accuracy is great and its killed a lot of coyotes and p-dogs. I put a leupold 2 1/2 X 8 scope on it, Belive it or not its got a good trigger some thing you don't find on a lot of rifles...........Joe.........

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To Graybeard: Thanks for the heads up on that possible .223" size bore. I might give them a call today to find out what exactly their specs are on that.

To Nebraska Kelly: I just took a look at the CZ rifles in 22 Hornet. I'll admit, they look darned good for a little less cash. Only thing that disagrees with me on those, is the dovetail mounts. I've seen dovetails slide around due to recoil on a 22 LR; and the rings were pretty tight. But I would prefer a bolt action rifle that is drilled and tapped. Thanks for the suggestion just the same.

To oso45-70: I'm still going to consider that too; but I think if the Brownings are now set to .224", that will be the one I go with. But as I said, it all depends on whats what with the barrel sizes, and what seems to be good quality all around.

-Patriot

·
Registered
194 Posts
Think again about the CZ

Patriot: Take a second look at the scope mount system on the CZ and the rings and you will see there is no way on earth those rings can move. They are slotted with locking metal. This same system is used on the CZ 550 and there have been no complaints about the rings shifting (cause they can't) even from folks owning one in .458 Lott. I own two CZs and believe me, unless you just don't want a rifle that will cost you less money, is accurate as you could possibly want, and even comes in a real cute full stock version as well as the American version, then go with the Ruger or Browning. Look up CZ-USA on the internet and see for yourself. Like I said, you can move the rings I think when they are properly installed on the rifle, but it would take a 16-pound sledge hammer to do it. Tom Purdom

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Patriot_1776,

To Graybeard: Thanks for the heads up on that possible .223" size bore.
Just an added note here, the CZ also uses a .223 dia. bore in their Hornets. It is the original bore size that the Hornet was originally designed to use. The Browning bore size is .223 as Graybeard said(I called and asked) and the magazine(hinged box) capacity is 3 plus 1 in the chamber. The CZ uses a detachable box magazine that holds 5 shots. My pick it the Ruger M77/22(my personal choice is the M77/22 VHZ due to it’s longer barrel, better trigger and the rotary magazine that fits flush with the bottom of the rifle). The Charles Daly Mini-Mauser specifications is the same as the CZ when it comes to bore size(.223), rate of twist(1-16") and magazine(detachable, holds 5+1). My complaint bout the CZ and the Charles Daly is the magazine, it tends to catch on coats/clothing and jabs you when carrying over the shoulder on a sling(I tried them both).[/color]

As far as bullets for the .223 Hornady makes one, a 45 gr. SP. Sierra makes two .223 dia, bullets, 40 & 45 gr.. But as Graybeard said .223 bullets are hard to find at times. There are three .22 Hornets in the safe, all Ruger’s. Had to buy the wife her own Ruger No. 1 as she was borrowing mine all the time. Like I said go with the Ruger. Better selection of .224 caliber bullets, better rate of twist and it’s made right here in America[/color]. Lawdog

·
Registered
15 Posts
Midwayusa.com has .223 bullets.

CZ mounts are very good. Burris makes a mount. I have not found a mount high enough for a scope over about 42mm objective.

My CZ guns shoot very well. The actions are mauser type. The magazines feed well. The wood finishes are good. My 222 shoots 5-shot One MOA groups with reloads. My 6.5x55SE Model 550 is not where I want it yet (1.5"), and it is the only CZ of mine with not-so-tight groups.

John
:grin:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Patriot - I would consider a few other things in the ruger vs. Browning. I have a micro bolt (not a hornet) and it has an adjustable trigger unlike the ruger, but on the downside the stock is too short for me. You might want to handle them both to see if it would work for you. As for the twist, based on my limited reloading experience, I favor the faster twist as it gives me more bullet options. I would guess that the ruger would shoot 50 grainers accurately and possibly 55's, and that the browning would be lucky to shoot 50's well.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Johnboy1948,

Midwayusa.com has .223 bullets.
Yes but the selection of different weights for .223 is limited as compared to that of .224 and often your order is backordered due to being "temporally out of stock"(even at Midway - I've had it happen a few times). Lawdog

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the opinions, help, and information guys. As for Ruger's trigger, even if it is not all that good, I could just install an aftermarket trigger.

One other question. Would the 77/22 in 22 Hornet also have the same action and stock mount screw configuration as my M77/17? I'm thinking I could (if it is the same) put the custom rifle stock currently on my 17 onto the 22 Hornet. Any idea on whether it is possible?

Thanks again.

-Patriot

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Patriot,

Would the 77/22 in 22 Hornet also have the same action and stock mount screw configuration as my M77/17?
I put my M77/22 VHZ Hornet next to my 77/22M(.22WMR) and there is no way the stocks will interchange. Lawdog

·
Registered
319 Posts
Back when CZ was known as Brno they made their reputation in N. America with their little .22Hornet. A couple of my friends have them, and they're ridiculously accurate. I would suspect the newer CZs are more of the same. I've only heard good about them. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went to the shop today and ended up buying the Ruger 77/22 VHZ, as well as ordering all the necessities for it (scope, dies, etc.).

I have some leftover AA1680 that has sat idle for too long. For starters I'd like see what that will do combined with Nosler's 40gr. Varmint BTs. What other powders are highly recommended for the Hornet?

I'll post a new thread when I get some action in with it.

I put my M77/22 VHZ Hornet next to my 77/22M(.22WMR) and there is no way the stocks will interchange.
Thanks for the confirmation Lawdog.

-Patriot

·
Registered
118 Posts
Patriot, First, I want you to understand that I do not own a hornet. I have, however, been looking at one long and hard and have been doing some research.

That said, reloading manuals and old articles in G&A make little gun look like the powder for the hornet.[/b]

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I used a Ruger #3 on yotes for a long time. I used 11 grains of 296 with Sierra's high velocity 40 grain bullets at about 2850. I could have stepped up the velocity with that powder, but the bullets seldom exited, expanding like a big game bullet and staying under the off side hide. Just the ticket for a hide hunter. :)
If I had to do it all over again, I'd try to get some government issue brass, it is tougher, or a .221 Fireball. :wink:

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Patriot_1776 said:
Went to the shop today and ended up buying the Ruger 77/22 VHZ, as well as ordering all the necessities for it (scope, dies, etc.).

I have some leftover AA1680 that has sat idle for too long. For starters I'd like see what that will do combined with Nosler's 40gr. Varmint BTs. What other powders are highly recommended for the Hornet?

I'll post a new thread when I get some action in with it.

I put my M77/22 VHZ Hornet next to my 77/22M(.22WMR) and there is no way the stocks will interchange.
Thanks for the confirmation Lawdog.

-Patriot
I use four basic powders in my Hornet loads - H4198, H4227, H110 and LIL'GUN. Easily available around where I live and works great. The really great thing about loading The .22 Hornet is when you are only loading 10 +/- grains of powder in a case, a one pound can of powder seems to last forever. Lawdog

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have that same gun. Here is what i did to make it shoot well

1. Floated the barrel
2. honed the trigger and installed a lighter spring.
3. The best handload for me is 11 GR 4227 behind a 40 grain vmax at 2850FPS
4. I found that a crimp die improved my accuracy, as the thin walled cases don't provide much grip.

This guns shoots very well, and makes a good 200 yard woodchuck gun.

Good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts