Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded for a Steyr Mountain rifle in the .260 Rem. caliber and have a couple of questions. First, can anyone sugget any good, accurate factory loads to use on whitetails? Second, what kind of accuracy can I expect out of this gun? I really don't know a whole lot about the gun or the caliber.
Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Bamasnyper: Well buddy, you sure picked up a honey of a combination. The Styer Mountain Rifle is supposed to be one of the best there is. It is rugged, lightweight and easy to carry, reliable and said to be accurate enough for sniper work.

The .260 caliber is an excellent find. In lieu of a 6.5 Swede the .260 will surely do whatever you need it to do. The best factory loads avaliable right now seem to be the 120 gn loading available from Remington. Although an excellent cartridge, the .260 may not yet be popular enough for major ammo makers to provide a wide array of offerings. I would love to suggest that if you do not yet reload, the .260 would be an excellent starting point.

Let us know how she shoots. HTH. Mikey.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Bamasnyper,

Sounds like a nice rifle! Do you have the Prohunter model with synthetic stock? Have you had a chance to go to the range yet? It would be interesting to get your feedback on advantages/disadvantages of the short barrel design. Have read that some are a somewhat concerned about the stock being a bit lightweight - what's your impression?

Otherwise, the Steyr has some nice features and a great look on top of it. The 260 is a winner. Just wish more factory loads were available. Your rifle should be an absolute tack-driver. Keep us updated.

Regards

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a mountain rifle in 308 and I love it. the rifle points great has a great trigger and shoots great. Average accuracy under an inch at 100 and under 1.5 at 200. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I like mine. I would love to find a prohunter in 376 steyr.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts