Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife (God bless her) bought, for my birthday, an H&R Ultra Varmint .223, the one with the laminate thumbhole stock. Lovely handleing rifle. I see from these forums that the H&R responds favorably to a little barrel work to improve accuracy. Polishing the bore I understand, but there was mention of a rubber O ring. Could someone please expain this. Also, I wish to fit a bi-pod and reading 101 about rest location, is it advisable to fit a second sling stud and the bi-pod as close to the barrel hinge as practical. The bi-pod wont fit on the regular sling stud anyway because of the curve of the fore stock.
Thank you all.

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
Happy Birthday! I'd put 50 or so rounds through it before I tinkered with it at all. See the FAQs above. Breaking in a barrel is there. The "O" ring serves to float the barrel off the forend, and in a lot of cases, works well. A buddy of mine has a Handi .280 that he couldn't get to group. I put in an "O" ring and dried the latch shelf, and it shoots cloverleafs at 100. Make sure the forend screw is torqued to the same tightness every time you remove the forend. Before you shoot it clean it and get the factory gunk out of it. Then make sure the latch shelf on the barrel is clean and dry. I can't help you with the bipod, cause I don't use them. Good luck and good shooting.

Pete

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Just get you another sling stud and put in between the hinge and the other sling stud.Works great.I have them on two of my Handis.223 and a 17M2.Work great with the Harris for setting on your butt and hunting.Slow

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. The wife thinks I have too many guns already but her brother talked to her. He wants me to help thin the varmints out on his farm.
The O ring I assume goes round the fore stock screw.
The bi-pod I have does'nt fit the curve at the front of the stock, so I will check out the other models.
Unfortunately I'm moving house and don't have time for shooting, in fact I'll probably miss hunting season this year. Oh well, next year

1 - 6 of 6 Posts