Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My contender doesn't open 'smoothly'.

Pulling up-back the triggerguard is a series of grating feels sort of like shifting with the clutch not quite out. And the trigger guard wobbles back and forth sideways. It is a 'easy open' with the pivot pin above the trigger, which is slightly loose in the pivot holes in the sides of the breech. Maybe it's supposed to do this, but I'm used to actions that open and close soundlessly and crisply.

Once I get it open the barrel drops easily, closes crisply and locks tight.

But the series of grating as I open it, NOT a single smooth lift. Doesn't seem right.

Thanks... Tom.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Other than wear, which it does sound like the frame has, grit or a broken part inside the action might be causing the grind and harder "shifting" of the trigger guard. Best is to take the frame apart to know for sure what it is. Gives you the chance to thoroughly clean and re-lube, check the condition of all parts, etc. Just dumping the action in a gunk bath is not a good idea as a frame is best lubricated with three different types of lube and they can't all be done without taking it apart. Other option is to send it to TC as they would replace any worn parts and clean and lube it for you under warranty. But I'd call customer service first to find out what the current lead time would be, especially if it is being used for hunting seasons. FWIW, HTH.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Figured I'd be taking it apart sooner of later. Are there any instructions on doing this? What lubing instructions? Have played with it and it feels like the locking lugs are scraping when I open it.

Frame's been changed to easy open - still a large hole in the lower front of the frame, but the pivot is a smaller pin right at the trigger.

Oh, my 'new' barrel is a solid lug. Guess that's why it wouldn't open. Wondering if there's a way to do the locking lugs to work with this easy open frame, or get an old trigger group would be easier so I can use barrels with solid and two piece lugs.

Sure I'll be having more questions in the future as I get more into these shooters. Been reading the old posts. I know it took me awhile to learn Handi rifles.

Thanks... Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.