Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited a Colt model 1911 and I have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer-
I'm wondering about the approximate age-
It was carried by a relative during the first world war but I'm wondering as to when it was made-
It says Model OF 1911 US army on the slide-
It has a 6 digit Ser. # starting with 20----
Also it was stored in the holster for years and has pitting on the slide and frame-
Could it be repaired so that I could fire it?
Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions but I have to start somewhere-
Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Answers??

prusch: If that is a 1911, and not a 1911A1, you can contact Colt Firearms and they should be able to tell you when it was made. Also, I would be hesitant to shoot it due to the possible collector value and its age.

The pitting caused by prolonged storage can only be cured with refinishing with a material that will fill the pits but again, you may wish to hold off on that until you determine the collector value. Any refinishing will usually detract from the collector value.

If the collector value is high, you may wish to preserve the pistol for its relevance to your heritage but then find something else to shoot.

Hope this helps. Mikey.

·
Registered
70 Posts
prusch,

The records that I have indicate that the pistol was a 1911 shipped between November, 1917 and May, 1918. There are a number of the 20xxxx serial numbers that were sold and shipped to individuals during that time, so, without the rest of the numbers I cannot check specifics.

I would not do anything to the pistol, except to preserve its condition with RIG or other suitable grease, until I could delve further into its history. If you want me to check my records, send me an e-mail to [email protected] and I will look further.

dclark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts