Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can't kill a roach in a microwave. (Observed by State Pen residents)
-
A spoon left in your coffee cup in the wave doesn't cause lightening or explosions, or in soup either. HMMMMM
-
ear
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,541 Posts
Don't ever try to re-heat hard boiled eggs in a microwave....Its like an m-80 going off when they blow....Learned that the hard way.

Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bigeasy said:
Don't ever try to re-heat hard boiled eggs in a microwave....Its like an m-80 going off when they blow....Learned that the hard way.

Larry
-
Same with bakeing a raw egg in the shell in an oven. Will blow the door open. Guess. One guess only. ear
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,534 Posts
About 30 years ago my mother-in-law attempted to boil and egg in her microwave. Destroyed the unit. Blew a hole right out the top of it. No egg was ever found.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,208 Posts
Interesting. I never damaged a microwave but I blew up a few eggs trying to figure out if I could hard cook a egg in the shell.

I later found that if I put the eggs (out of the shell) in a bowl with a saucer over it for a lid, I could make some OK eggs that way. I finally decided it was better to cook them in a cast iron pan on the stove.

For some serious fun, look up the Mythbusters microwave special. I don't know if it hurts the microwave but a microwaving a CD is pretty cool looking...

Tony
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I beat the egg, put a little oil in a bowl and then put the egg in. I heat it a minute or so at the time and when almost done I put cheese on top. some egg will stick to the side but I get it off with my fork. ear
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,208 Posts
blind said:
I beat the egg, put a little oil in a bowl and then put the egg in. I heat it a minute or so at the time and when almost done I put cheese on top. some egg will stick to the side but I get it off with my fork. ear
That's the way I settled on too. It must be the best way since we both use it. ;D

Tony
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,324 Posts
I was 8 when we got our first microwave and made the egg mistake. Mom had shown us how to crack an egg into a coffee cup with water and poach it with a saucer over the cup. So I got the bright Idea to try making hard boiled eggs and put one in a Corel glass bowl with a Corel saucer sitting on top.when the thing went off there wasn't a splinter of the Corel glass big enough to tell that that's what it was anyway. There was a nice layer of yellowish white stuff all over the inside of it too and took a long ibt to clean it off too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
286 Posts
My brother inlaw delivered gas and oil for the local coop. He tried to dry wet chore gloves The fuzzy yellow ones. He got them out of the microwave in time, but burned a hole in the kitchen floor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any idea on why the muffin pan? ear
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,618 Posts
tacklebury said:
I was 8 when we got our first microwave and made the egg mistake. Mom had shown us how to crack an egg into a coffee cup with water and poach it with a saucer over the cup. So I got the bright Idea to try making hard boiled eggs and put one in a Corel glass bowl with a Corel saucer sitting on top.when the thing went off there wasn't a splinter of the Corel glass big enough to tell that that's what it was anyway. There was a nice layer of yellowish white stuff all over the inside of it too and took a long ibt to clean it off too.
I tried to boil eggs it was a hot day and I did not want to add heat to the house so I took a large glass bowl, put about half a gallon of water in it, added a chop stick (Alton Brown) and set it in the Nuke for 10 min till the water was hot. I then left the bowl in the box and added 4 room temp eggs and closed the door set the Timer (not the oven) for 15 min and closed the door. Pulled the bowl it was still hot and scooped the eggs out and chilled them in the sink and peeled them. Later after the eggs fully cooled it smashed them with a little mayo, whole seed mustard, paprika, salt and pepper and it made a couple good swamiches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,208 Posts
I was in the mood to blow a little cash on an electric egg poacher and I bought an electric egg steamer on line from Amazon I think This has been the trickest way to cook eggs I've ever seen. It makes the best tasting hard cooked or poached eggs I've ever seen...

I suppose you could use a veg steamer tray in over a pan of water to do the same but you'd have to figure out the times on your own.

Tony
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mc Duck: what does the chopstick do? Alton Brown is a very good teacher and his food is good as it gets as far as what he cooks. ear
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,618 Posts
blind said:
Mc Duck: what does the chopstick do? Alton Brown is a very good teacher and his food is good as it gets as far as what he cooks. ear
With a Nuker wave the water can get so hot and not bubble the chop stick or wooden skewer gives the water a place for the bubbles to form. Other wise moving the bowl can instantly boil and erupt causing burns.
From what I cna understand the bubbles are formed at the heat source and move based on a difference in pressure and temp. The hotter water above 212 at the heat source and moves to a cooler area the surface. Since a Nuker wave heats all the water at the same time bubbles do not form. The wooden stick gives a different density that allows the bubbles to form and move from hot to cool.
I am not sure if that is the real reason that is just what I cam think of as a boiler guy for almost 20 years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll try it. I leave a stirring spoon in bowls and coffee cups when nuking them and the metal spoons don't get as hot as the liquid. When something does boil it will kick out 1/3 of the content pretty quick.
Thanks, ear
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top