Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Taurus guys,I'm mostly a Ruger and smith shooter ,heres my question How do you open the cylinder on a RB?Even the sales lady whose husband died recently;the owners of the shop;didn't know.I pushed the release on the side of the frame but the cylinder would'nt swing out,soo there must be another latch or something? :oops:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Push down on the front catch and then the push the rear latch to open cylinder. I owned a RB for 2 years and found it to be a fine revolver with execellent accuracy.
Rick

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I went back checked it out real good and it went home with me. :grin: I have shot 45 LC from it no 454 yet, seems well made and accurate,15-20 years ago I had a Taurus and the quality has been much improved since then if my new to me RB is any indication.Now the 45 loads felt like shooting a 22 mag,very little recoil.I've heard all the horror stories about 454 recoil but this weekend I'll find out first hand. :shock: If it's too much I can always shoot heavy 45 loads for hunting.

·
Registered
782 Posts
45 Colt in RB

If you are shooting lead bullets, watch out for lead buld up in the chambers. I bought a used Raging Bull in 45 Colt (Yes, 45 Colt, NOT 454 Casull.) that appeared to be in excellent condition. To my dismay, when I got to the range it would not fully chamber a cartridge in all chambers. When I got home and took a closer look I discovered lead in the chambers just where the case ends. The lead was easy to remove, a toothpick brought it out in a single ring shaped piece. Then all was well.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:D Thanks for the info I always keep my guns clean and I know about building pressures from shooting 45 then 454 from reading about it in these forums.Today I got some Hornady 454 240 grn. xtp mag ammo and went to the range.The walk in is through some feilds borderd by woods so I stalked along hoping to see some groundhogs,well I did and the first ever shot of 454 for me got a hog at about 10 yds. :lol: The recoil of this gun with these loads is not bad at all I'm really surprised Ive had 44 mags kick way harder but it is LOUD,I didn't have time for ear plugs with the grounhog though I made sure to use them on the targets I shot.All in all I think I'm gonna LOVE this Raging Bull.the hog was blown almost completly in half so I'm wondering how these loads will do on deer?WHAT DO YOU GUYS USE IN 454?Thanks again.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OOPS maybe I spoke too soon.I can't cock the hammer in single action now it cycels in DA mode but the hammer will only come back a little in single mode and wont go all the way back even after a good cleaning,still no go.HELP PLEASE ?Only 6 shots and now it's broke?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took it to the gunsmith today I'll let you know what it was when I find out. :?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ratgunner, have you got your 454 back yet, I am wondering what is going on. I am interested in the 500, 6"
I keep hearing that the RB is the best Taurus has going, but maybe it is not doing very well either?
Halfbreed

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope,still havent heard anything yet. :x I'm not going to buy anymore of thier guns.I looked at a used one at a shop just to see the price and I can tell you they sure don't hold thier value.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
ratgunner,
i'm also interested in what the smith says. i have had a rb in 454 for about two years now and never a problem. i usually carry a super redhawk for deer though as the rb is a little heavy.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
454 500 460

As for hunting, Mr Casull did a damn good job. For deer, hogs, elk, black bears, this gun is great. If you want to hunt larger game like moose and brown bear, make sure you have harder lead, and great shot placement. As for the RB 500, its a good gun, and will handle the load fine, but there is one little hickup. The cylinder in the RB is just long enough for factory 500 loads, that means that some hand loaders who like longer lead, can't fit it. But if you arent interested in some huge chunk-o-lead, no worries. I have to tell people looking at the 500, to look at the 460 Sw magnum, brand new cartridge, but only Sw makes the pistol. Same energy as the 500, but way faster 2300ft/sec, and also a rediculously flat trajectory. I recommend everybody who is looking for a massive pistol to check this thing out. It also shoots the 454 and 45LC.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update, the gun was sent back to taurus and still haven't heard anything yet. :roll:

·
Registered
66 Posts
There is good news and bad news :shock:

I have owned a RB in .454 for several years. When it got about 400 rounds through it, it began to open the cylinder upon firing. At first it was every 10 to 15 shots, but when it got to be EVERY shot, I sent it back to Taurus. It cost $55 to ship, and was gone for over 3 months.

When it came back, all the paperwork said was that it had been repaired. Apparently it has, because I've had no further problems to this point. I suspect all they did was put a stronger spring in the forward (crane mounted) cylinder latch.

I had the same problem years ago with a Dan Wesson .357 pistol pack. I now think that the "double release" design is a bad one. I also own a Ruger SRH in .454, which utilizes three locking points for the cylinder, but has never flopped open like this.

I really like the gun, and it is extremely accurate, tight, and comfortable to shoot.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
O.K. it's BACK. So far it works but what a long wait. I'll keep you guys posted if there are any more problems. :eek:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ref. Taurus

I have owned a taurus for over two years and havent had a single problem with it .The only complaint I have about my Raging bull is it is heavier to carry around with that full underlug barrel it adds weight to the hiking part of the hunt but stabilizes me when I shoot.I shoot heavy stuff all the time have only used cast bullets in my gun however and I shoot 300 and 340 and 335 grain bullets all cast no problems yet!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts