Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the Raging Bull .454 & .480 I was wondering which one would have a harder recoil, and which is just all around more powerful. Also are they making the .500 yet if so where to buy one.

·
Registered
744 Posts
HI courtney I read on these forums that greybeard himself cant tell the difference in recoil between the two if you blind folded him.I have the 454 and recoil aint near as bad as I expected.Hope this helps. :D

·
Registered
744 Posts
Also look on taurus web site I think they have the 500 and I know they have a dealer locater too.454 would give more bullet choices,but for some reason GB kept the 480 and tried to sell the 454.If you arent hunting and just want the biggest gun to impress freinds get a 500. :grin:

·
Administrator
26,131 Posts
Kerrect. I let the .454 go and kept the .480. I prefer it. Folks seem to forget what big bore handguns are all about. It's NOT velocity. Speed kills on the highway, not in big bore handguns. A big wide meplat on a heavy bullet is what kills in big bore handguns.

I like the .480 pushing those big LBT slugs of 420-430 grains about 1100-1250 fps. If I can't kill it with that I really shouldn't be messing with it cuz it can't be killed and is liable to make lunch of me.

Yeah I think the .500 is now available but WHY? There is not one single thing it will do the .480 won't do as well and with far less recoil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help, the biggest gun I own is a ruger safety six .357 with 4.5 inch barrel how would the .480 compare to the recoil of that gun?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Courtney do you mean a single six?It really doesn't matter I just never heard of a safety six.Anyways a .480 will be alot more recoil than a .357 but grip design and gun weight pluse porting will tame the .480 quite a bit.My raging bull is more of a shove than a sharp kick, but in a ruger or freedom arms it will push back and upwards pretty sharply due to grip design of single actions.The reason is so you can recock the hammer.I'm sure GB could explain this better than me.Check out www.pistolwhipvideo.com to see the fireball slide show it shows how a .454 single action recoils. :eek:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've got the RB in 454 Casull with 8.3/8" barrel, and one reason I like it is I can shoot heavy (or light) 45 colt handloads also. I've got a Winchester 94 in 45 colt and this is a handy feature.

Recoil is comfortable because of the barrel weight, porting and grips.

It's a darn accurate handgun, and shoots cast bullets extreemly well. I made a tacticle side leg holster that keeps it at the ready and out of the way of my hunting vest, etc. and is quite comfortable to carry this way.. :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Ok, so normal rounds in the 480, you are looking at 1300ftlbs energy, and 1850 for the 454. Which is a pretty big difference. If you are looking for hunting, go with the 454. It has a much flatter trajectroy than the 480 and the 500, and still enough power left to knock anything down. The 500, hits hard at first, but looses power FAST. It's not a taurus, but look at the S&W 460XVR, there is no other pistol hunting round that comes close. Hopefully, Taurus will give us a RB in the 460 Mag.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Had a Taurus RB and found it a fine shooting pistol. Good groups, easy enough recoil, extra loud noise, but too much round for anything around here. The .44 mag is more than enough to kill bear, boar, and deer. I traded my .454 for something I actually could use. Good on ya for you guys that like to shoot pistols that try to tear your hand off. I'm to old for that crap.

Rick 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts