Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ramped barrels make no appreciable difference with the .45's, but hold more pressure with the .38 Super and clones as more of the case head is supported. Either can be made to feed properly. Either can be screwed up also.

dclark

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Ramped Barrels

kenjuudo: I agree with dclark on this issue. I have seen many and have shot a few and it doesn't seem to matter with the 45. With the 38 Super - if you are going to go the high pressure route with max loads it may be worthwhile but it depends on what you would want to do with a 38 Super. If you're just brewing up your own reloads and having fun, I don't think you would need it. If you are going 'major', it may be worth the investment.

I've 'popped' a few 38 Super cases in my time but those were all my fault. When I have stayed within the parameters in the loading manuals I have not had a problem. Even using the older manuals and the charges listed haven't caused me any problems. Again, it just depends on what you would want to do with it. Hope this helps. Mikey.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have both, and milling a frame for a ramped barrel just adds to the cost. Unless you have a high pressure round (like .38 super), or are handloading at the upper end of allowable pressures, a ramped barrel is not required.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.