Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I get a ramrod tip that will fit my sidekick ramrod for SST bullets? The tip that came with the gun is flat. Does the tip even matter?Thanks.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I would save that ramrod for looks on the gun and buy a good fiberglass one ( or wood if you desire) to use for loading and cleaning. :grin: Then you can buy a conical adaptor that will screw on the end of it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
For powerbelts I use my index finger as a bullet starter. As I recall the flat tip at the range to sight in had no bearing on the terrific accuracy.
I load 1 bullet before the deer season with a range rod now. I'm a little
nutty!!! Once I get any rifle to shoot as good as my Huntsman, I box it
for deer only.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I replaced my brass colored ram rod with a black ram rod from NEF, about one year ago. I had a friend who had access to a drill press, drill the extra tip so it had a concave end instead of flat. The concave end works great for a number of bullet designs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just ordered a T/C Shockwave loading/cleaning jag from Cabela's. It's all set for polymer tipped bullets and will serve double duty when the barrel needs to be swabbed. I'm going to put a couple threads on the back end of it so it'll hold the two rods together like the original...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I stumbled across a really nice jag on Precision's site last night. They're making a jag that's slightly larger in diameter so the patches are less likely to come off way down in the barrel and the jag is 150% longer for more contact area with the patch which also helps to keep it in place. This would also be a good candidate to have the threads put on the back of because there's more room to work with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok, got the T/C cleaning jag today. Just my luck it's a size 10/32 and I need a 8/32. I'm thinking I'm going to drill and tap my ramrod to fit the new jag. A larger diameter thread base is much stronger than the smaller stock hole. Plus all the good jags seem to have the larger diameter thread anyway. Just a heads up for everyone looking to put a new jag on their Sidekick...

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
They make a adapter from 8/32 to 10/32 and the other way around too 10/32 to 8/32. They also make a adaptor to take shotgun mops. They only cost a couple of bucks to solve the problem you have. I have one it is nice that way you can use standard or black powder cleaning items. Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Jim, but I already took the tap to my cleaning rod and the jag fits in there nicely. It was only a $5.00 cleaning rod so I figured it wasn't much of a loss if I screwed it up. Now I have to thread the rear of the jag so it will screw into the Sidekick ramrod like the original one does on the outside rod...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts