Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted much on here lately because I haven't been able to get out shooting for awhile. :mad:

As maybe a few of you remember, I posted a picture of my 223 with a Limbsaver De-Resonator a while back. If you remember, we were all having some fun with the de-resonator. ;D Here is a repeat of that photo.

Here is a photo of the gun in my shooting spot. This was pre-De-Resonator.

This photo was also taken on a previous outing, but these are the ammos I was shooting today also.

I did a trigger job on the gun and also RTV bedded the forearm per Mac's instructions. I rest on the forearm right where the forearm screw is located. As I have posted on here several times, this gun has shot 1 1/4" groups consistently since the trigger job and RTV bedding. These groups were shot with both the Ultramax and WWB. I am VERY low on the WWB right now. Actually, I have a case of it at my brother's house, but it is all the way across the state. :mad: Will get it at Thanksgiving.

OK, here is the target I shot today. I only had a short period of time, but wanted to see if the de-resonator made any difference. I started off with the de-resonator in the location the above picture shows. I moved it after the first and second group and then left it at that location.

Even though I had poked fun at the guys that said they would not put something that ugly on their gun, I truthfully didn't think the thing would work on my heavy barrel Handi. I did however believe it would work for a lighter barrel gun. But, I must draw the conclusion that it did help. As I said, prior to today 1 1/4" 3-shot groups was the best I could do with this rifle.

Note that Group 4 was shot with WWB. If you look at Groups 3 & 5, those were shot with Ultramax and the De-Resonator in the same location. Those 6 shots go into about 0.85".

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dang it! Sorry that target photo is not easier to read. It is my first attempt at adding text using Photoshop. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Super Moderator
51,154 Posts
Thanks for the report, lookin good!! I'd be glad to pick that ammo up and hold it for ya!! ;D ;) ;) ;)

Tim

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Looking good Bro...with a little more trigger time...I think you will be punching single holes with it..but it's turned into a real good shooter right now..It's funny about the deresonator isn't it.. ;) I'm glad you at least tried it to prove to your self they do work...

Mac

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Nice report and nice groups.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Glad to see that the 223 is getting dialed in, take care of yourself and watch out for friends who offer to hold ammo for you ::) Doug

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
canon6 is correct, not everyone is to be trusted. Get that WWB to me and I will guard it for you....<><....:)

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
i bought one just haven't got around to putting it on my gun. haven't made up which one yet. i believe it will work. i may put it on a 7mm rem mag that's 1.5 inches at 125 off bench with factory trigger. i will lighten the trigger before i try it though. cascadedad do you still think that thing is "cute''? looks tatical to me

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for all the willingness to help out. But, don't call me, I'll call you! ;D

All my comments prior to this weekend were made in a joking manner, having a little fun with the deresonator. I really don't consider the thing "cute", but, given the results I had, it will stay on.

For those that are not too hung up on looks and your looking for a little more accuracy, I would recommend giving it a try.

·
Super Moderator
51,154 Posts
I bought one of the bull barrel deresonators on one of my recent trips to SW, it's in my shooting box so the next time I make a range trip, it will get tested. ;) The standard one was a real pain to move on an H&R, just no fun to give it a real test moving it in 1" increments to find the sweet spot. :-\

Tim

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tim, I had a hard time installing the bull barrel deresonator. I was afraid it might be real hard to move once it sat on the barrel for awhile. When I was shooting Saturday, I just moved it by putting hard thumb pressure to push on one side and then the other. It really wasn't bad at all. You can't just grab it and slide it down the barrel though. You have to "walk" it down the barrel.

Sure would be nice to see one tried on a lightweight barrel that is shooting in the 1 1/2 to 2" range with factory ammo.

·
Super Moderator
51,154 Posts
I use WD40 to put em on, it goes on real easy then, but once it's been on even a little while, the small one is a bear to remove from a bull barrel.

Tim

·
Registered
260 Posts
I see a gun warming up from the first two groups, then shooting slightly better. I don't see the resonator doing anything.

If you really want to know if it helps.

With the same ammo after some warm up shots. Shoot a 10 shot group with it and a 10 shot group with out. At least one 10 shot of each.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
I don't see the resonator doing anything.
That's cause your not looking...or believing the thing actually works...and if you would have been following along with what all he's done with his rifle so-far......you would understand that his 3 shot group holds more significance than what your giving it...Shooting 10 shot groups with ammo that gives a known value in a Handi..while nice...isn't really needed for an individual to know wither the product works or not......They are after all still break action single shots...not bench rest rifles...

Sooner or later folks will understand why these little rubber donuts do work for many people...wither folks wants to believe it or not...nor no matter how much they dislike the looks...nor how much fun they want to poke at it calling all sorts of names...Most folks who actual do give them a fair trial with various ammo on guns not already tuned to shoot 1/4"-3/4" groups find they do indeed help it..How much depends on the gun & the load...On his...decreasing his group size with ammo giving a consistent 1-1/4" by almost an 1" is a very good accomplishment..
As I have posted on here several times, this gun has shot 1 1/4" groups consistently since the trigger job and RTV bedding.
Mac

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
I think i must be missing something.
I would very-very happy with 1"-11/4" groups at 100yards, given what we pay for Handis
I think that is great shooting, what are you going to shoot that has smaller than 1 1/4"target area, like the man said these are not Bench rifles. It is all in what each person expects
some want a $250.00 dollar rifle to do what a $1500.00 rifle will do, think i just discovered
why their is a lot of whining about inaccuracy in a Handi. I don't expect more than $250.00
out of mine if the will shoot 2"-2 1/2" groups at 100yds that is fine (don't plan on shooting
anything smaller) this rifle in question what ever the cause, to me is doing a great job.
IS IT FOR SALE
this just my $.02 it something to ponder $1,500.00 shots from a $250.00 rifle WONDERFUL

·
Registered
414 Posts
1 1/4" at 100 yards is 2.5" at 200, and 5+" at 400 yards

3/4 " at 100 yards is 1.5" at 200, and 3+" at 400 yards

With a Varmint Caliber, should one Not expect to be able to hit Varmints in it's usable range ? I don't think that because you spend $250 for a gun you should be handi-capped on the usable range.

The .223, .243 and 7.62X39 Handi's I had all shot under 1",(.270 right at) the first 2 being Well under 1" and not enough time spent with the 7.62 to really get it doing all it could. My problems with Handi's were not the Groups they would shoot, but the POI shift due to Tempature and how you closed them. If your Consistent with how you close the action, they do well. But in real Hunting situations, sometimes you have to be Quiet and Ease it closed.

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Good shootin' C'Dad!

I never had a doubt that the Deresonator would work, I have been using LimbSavers on my bows for 8 or 9 years. Any time you can lessen vibration, it's always a good thing for accuracy. I do have to admit, they aint pretty.

Good Luck on those varmints!

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
under varmint shooting conditions, (not off a solid bench) i think their are very few shooters that will consistently hit in a 5" circle at 400 yards with a 223 and not a lot at 300yds. Their are some not a lot.
what you pay for an item regardless of what it is has something to do with what you can expect
other wise all your big time bench rest shooters would be shooting handis or guns off the rack.
Yes it would be nice to buy a $250.00 223 that will shoot like a $1,500.00 bench gun, but
IT AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts