Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RCBS full length dies....Is it possible to neck size only and how is it done? Ordinarily, the die is screwed down till it touches the shell holder, then advanced 1/8 to 1/4 turn, to cam over the top, with the ram in the full up position.........
If you only wish to neck size, you do not screw the die in till it touches the shell holder. Where is the die set, how far? Thanks!

Jim

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Just take it down untill it just touches the shoulder or even a little less than that. Not that critical as long as its far enough to resize the neck. KN

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Savaget: Years ago we used to use the thickness of a penny to guage the space between the bottom of the die and the upwards preasure of the ram if you could find some washers that thick that the threaded part of the die would go thru and the locking collor would rest on to raise the die that amout it should keep the shell off the sholders arfea when in the die a friend of mine had some of the washers he used that way he didnt have to re-adjust the full length die to neck size only. :D JIM

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jhm said:
Savaget: Years ago we used to use the thickness of a penny to guage the space between the bottom of the die and the upwards preasure of the ram if you could find some washers that thick that the threaded part of the die would go thru and the locking collor would rest on to raise the die that amout it should keep the shell off the sholders arfea when in the die a friend of mine had some of the washers he used that way he didnt have to re-adjust the full length die to neck size only. :D JIM
jhm,
If I'm following you, use the penny resting on top of the shellholder as a spacer to set the die depth? I'll give it a try.

Jim

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Savaget: Yes you can do it that way or like I said find a washer the thickness of a penny that the die threads will go thru but the locking ring will rest on set the washer on top of press screw die into press thru the washer will hold die up high enough to keep the shoulder of the brass off the die area. :D JIM

·
Registered
39 Posts
How far to back off is dependent on the body taper of the case. If the case has a great taper like the .300 H&H you can size nearly the whole neck before you start to size the body; an Ackley improved case starts to size before you get to the neck. Fred Huntington advised partial sizing early on, but later did not often so advise because many straight-walled cases were extruding the shoulder forward and preventing chambering. The solution was a neck die. Tapered cases really don't need them.
Cheers from Grayest California,
Ross

·
Registered
39 Posts
How far to back off is dependent on the body taper of the case. If the case has a great taper like the .300 H&H you can size nearly the whole neck before you start to size the body; an Ackley improved case starts to size before you get to the neck. Fred Huntington advised partial sizing early on, but later did not often so advise because many straight-walled cases were extruding the shoulder forward and preventing chambering. The solution was a neck die. Tapered cases really don't need them.
Cheers from Grayest California,
Ross

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.