Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d like to hear from anyone with experience with a 204 Ruger Handi rifle. I’m trying to convince myself to buy something for very long range coyote and crow shooting. For me that means 200-250 yards. I often shoot coyotes at 100-125 yards and I can call coyotes to ~75 yards on a real good day but I’m looking for more of a challenge. Yes I have many rifles in many calibers and I don’t need to know why one of those is a better choice. Can a non-customized Handi rifle in 204 Ruger hit a 5” diameter target at 250 yards if I do my part? Thanks, Mike

·
Super Moderator
51,613 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
I have tried just about every load in my 204 Handi. It is the only rifle that burnt up that I am not upset over losing. It shot ok sometimes and terrible most of the time .One of the big problems was copper fouling after just a few rounds. I hope it was the last barrel H&R made with the worn out rifling button! I used enough powder and bullets to reload a bunch of good rifles and even tried lapping the barrel several times.When it did shoot reasonable good groups it worked well on small critters however.like the 17 Rem it is very effected by wind. I tell folks to go bigger on the bore for the creatures they are hunting.
Good Luck
George

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you were trying to give me 10-204 handis or just 1 223,,,,I would take the single 223 everytime. .17 and .20 are a royal pia without any gain IMO. I have had several 223 Handi's all of em would drill a golf ball on a string at 250 yards with the right load when I was on my game. I know of 2 - 204 Handi barrels that got chopped into barrel stubs in fact.

Reactions: jeepmann1948

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have Ruger American rifles in .223 and 5.56 and a Colt 6940. All are capable rifles. I had a .223 Handi rifle that was not.
Fawn Terrestrial animal Tail Road surface Soil
Grass Musical instrument Plant String instrument Plucked string instruments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sometimes I think it must be the luck of the draw. In addition to my handi 223 that was horrible I had a 243 that was almost as bad. On the other hand my old 30-30 model 158 is a real shooter as is the 45-70 Shikari that I bought from Kurt. I’d sure like to find a slim profile 243 that’s a good shooter. My brother and I each bought heavy barrel 243s at the same time and sold them soon thereafter. I’m tempted to buy a Ruger American 243 since I’ve had good luck with that rifle in 7.62x39, 308, 223, and 5.56. I don’t think I want to try another handi 223. Kinda why I was interested in a 204 but the general consensus here is mixed so maybe I’ll just use what I have.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
I am intrigued with the 204 Ruger and actually pursued one for awhile. With that said, I'm more of a 22/250 guy. But evidently a dud in the Handi platform due to twist. As I stated before I think a 22 Hornet to 250 yds is hard to beat. With all of the 223 platforms you have I'd stick that route. Keep this in mind in the 243 (my favorite caliber) using the 58 gr vmax ammo, it sure retired a bunch of varmint rifles

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
669 Posts
I too have a lot of rifles in a lot of calibers and my 204 Handi is easily my most accurate gun. So accurate, it’s almost boring to target shoot with. The only mod to my barrel is a member here graciously threaded it for my suppressor.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I too have a lot of rifles in a lot of calibers and my 204 Handi is easily my most accurate gun. So accurate, it’s almost boring to target shoot with. The only mod to my barrel is a member here graciously threaded it for my suppressor.
i have a couple 243s like that. maybe we just got lucky?

·
Super Moderator
51,613 Posts
I would say so. The .243 in the Handirifle was notoriously inaccurate. Count your blessings!

~WH~
Only if dealing with a Superlight or trying to use heavier bullets, those that have had problems with 95-100gr bullets found that 85-90gr worked fine when not allowing the barrel to heat up, I've had several 243 H&Rs, they all shot good with the right bullet weight, one of my 243 Ultras love cheap Federal 100gr Hi-Shoks, but the t-hole Ultra can't handle them but shoots 87gr Vmax handloads great, my Superlight shoots 100gr fine as well if I don't shoot it hot.

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
I have a factory 22 in blued with PW compact stock and it always loves 100 gr federals, like command central Tim's. It shoots right up there with my Tikka T3 lite with handloads. It will be the last Handi to leave here.

Reactions: treeslayer

·
Registered
819 Posts
both mine are ultra bull barrels, they will both put 85gr gamekings into or almost into one ragged hole. two shots only, after that they will start to string until they are cool again. 100gr they will make 2" groups.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts