Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if any receiver sights are made for the 550. I'm thinking of getting a 550FS and would like to use a peep.

·
Registered
215 Posts
New England Custom Guns makes a ghost ring site. Available through Brownells.

P.S. Received the sight and it's a nice piece of work. Pretty expensive though. Haven't put it on the 550 FS yet, as the ten-day wait for the rifle is over next Monday.

P.P.S. The receiver sight required a taller front site. After measuring and eyeballing and fumbling with calipers I figured about 3mm higher would work. That is, coincidentally, the tallest that NECG offers. I ordered the "Sourdough," a patridge front with a shiny brass face. I prefer posts over dots. Took a lot of stoning to get it to fit, but it finally fits up snugly and it looks good with the rifle. This weekend I'll take it out and see if rear adjustments will cover the new front height.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Using the NECG peep and front sight, the 9.3x62 FS shot about 3" low at 25 yards, with the peep screwed all the way down. At 100 yards with the peep screwed all the way up (about 5 complete turns) it was shooting about 2" low using center of mass aiming. With my old eyes the mass was the entire target, and the group of six shots was about three and a half inches.

The brass face got lost on the white target and I had to lower the front by about 0.060". I decided to lose the shiny brass and do an undercut into the steel so I can see the thing, and then I filed about 0.050" off the top and blued it. Tomorrow I'll see how close it is and maybe do some more cutting. Better to cut too little off than too much.

-Don

1 - 3 of 3 Posts