Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,614 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
This is going to be one of my first conversions I think. Already loading the .30-40 Krag for my great grand dad's old gun. ;)

·
Premium Member
16,614 Posts
To my mind, about ANY 75 or so old rimmed cartridge is appealing for the Handi platform...

In my case I also have a 307 Win.. ballistically it will do nothing the 30-30/307 cannot..but it would be cooler than BOTH!!!

CW

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
[quote author=cwlongshot link=topic=243628.msg1099400468#msg1099400468VERY appealing rechamber. ... One day I will come across another 30-30 barrel and I will have one too!

Hey Brie! Guess what? I just got another 30-30 barrel! Remington made and it locked right up to the last receiver I had; also Remington made. 8) What do you thin I gonna do!? ;D

Oh BTW ol' buddy ol' pal... I also go a set of RCBS 50-140 dies! ;)

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
JWP58 said:
Would it be possible to take a 30-30 barrel and rechamber it to 30-40 Krag?
JWP,

Look at the thread Quickdtoo posted today with a subject heading of 4D Reamers. There are links in the thread to 4D's information on single shot rifle rechambers. Also, Fred @ 4D would be more than happy to rent your the 30-40 Krag reamer for your project.

BB

·
Premium Member
16,614 Posts
AtlLaw said:
[quote author=cwlongshot link=topic=243628.msg1099400468#msg1099400468VERY appealing rechamber. ... One day I will come across another 30-30 barrel and I will have one too!

Hey Brie! Guess what? I just got another 30-30 barrel! Remington made and it locked right up to the last receiver I had; also Remington made. 8) What do you thin I gonna do!? ;D

Oh BTW ol' buddy ol' pal... I also go a set of RCBS 50-140 dies! ;)
Oh baby Richard!!!

All this 30 GOVT talk will have me in the classifieds before the week is out!! Lol

I was looking at brass last night, I have about 100 pcs but I also found about ten boxes loaded!!!

CW

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well i guess it will work, and would make a heck of an all around big game rifle to boot! Now the only problem is to find a decent 30-30 that doesnt cost an arm and a leg....

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
JWP58 said:
Well i guess it will work, and would make a heck of an all around big game rifle to boot! Now the only problem is to find a decent 30-30 that doesnt cost an arm and a leg....
If you can talk someone down to were they just want a leg for the 30-30 barrel it would be worth it. ;D

BB

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Atlaw, you are just going to have to do that! Only I'd make it the 30-40 AI just because I can if I ever get a chance to do that. 44 Man

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
I'm thinkin Lewis! I'm thinkin! ;D

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you want a .30-40 Krag and don't want to give up your .30-30 there is another way. Take a 20 ga. shot gun barrel that fits your frame, this will be your sleeve, buy one of those stainless steel 20 ga. chamber adapters for .357 or so you can drill it out 1/2" to accept a chrome molly, hammer forged, .308 barrel liner from Track of the Wolf. Use Brownells fiberglass bedding compound to glue it all in place and chamber it for .30-40. I bought one off the classifieds here.

Now the .30-40 Krag has a long throat where the lands are reamed out. It did not like full jacketed bullets but shot 210 gr. cast just fine as the bullet profile was designed for it. I don't have a camera available to take acceptable macro pictures. Your only extra costs are the donor shotgun barrel and 20 ga. adapter and glass bedding epoxy and gunsmith costs if you want. Mine has milled dovetails and drilled and tapped for scope mount but you could black max glue on some aluminum Williams sights.

But realistically the .30-30's are so great as is for cast bullets up to 190 grain, why mess with anything else. There's the .308 Winchester for shooting heavier lead bullets and the case capacity is just a tad under the Krag.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.