Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This probably a really dumb question, but people talk about how recoil in a 458 Ruger # 1 is so bad and in a bolt action is not as punishing. My question is a tropical # 1 is 9 lbs and in the ruger m77 bolt in 458 the weight is 9.5 lbs. With this how could th recoil in the #1 be that much worse?? :D

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
It is probably the differences in stock/comb shape. The #1 stock can smack you pretty good in a hard kicker, the M77s' stocks may work better in handling recoil to the face.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
This is straight from the Ruger web site.

Ruger No. 1 Tropical, Weight: 8 1/4 lbs.
Ruger M77 Mark II Deluxe Magnum, Weight: 10 lbs.

I own the M77 Mark II Deluxe Magnum in .375 H&H and have shot the No. 1 Tropical in .375H&H and there is a big difference in recoil. More than the 1 3/4” pound difference in weight between the two rifles. Lawdog
:D

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Big Bore Rifles

msorenso,

I know it don't make any sense but , I had one and traded it off for a bolt action. I had put a recoil insert and a big thick pad on it and it still kicked the wham out of me. The bolt is lighter by a pound and a half and don't do half the damage the #1 did. you figger it out, i sure can't.......Joe........

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
Weight and stock style have a lot to do with felt recoil. :D

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I don't know the dimensions of the Ruger stocks, but I would bet the #1 has more drop built into it. The more a stock drops at the heel, the more it tends to pivot upwards in recoil. Likewise, more drop at the comb causes you to lift your head to get a good sight picture, and that gives the comb a good running start before it whacks you in the cheek. A classic style straight stock seems kick less for me than other shapes, regardless of the gun weight.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The Ruger site indicates their .458 win 1H weighs 9.25 lbs. The actual drop in comb is not so bad -- the rifle comes straight back when fired.

Perhaps my experience is strange, but, in the end, I have not found the .458 win in Ruger #1 to kick as badly as I expected given my prior experience with a bolt action I used to own. It might have something to do with how I hold the firearm. Alternatively, rather recently, Rem 700 classic in 375H&H kicked too hard for me -- but then, I don't think I paid as much attention to shooting form for heavy recoil by that time -- or the 700 was too light.

Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts