Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a TC Contender that I shoot heavy 45/70 loads with 350 gr RN bullets, and a 375 JDJ that I shoot moderately heavy loads with 300 gr hornady SP's. Now I'm looking to buy a large bore revolver. I've been thinking about a 454 Casull or a 480 Ruger in a Taurus Raging Bull. Can some of you guys compare the two for me in terms of felt recoil, and energy for hunting. Most of my shots for hunting are less than 100 yds.
Thanks,
Mkee

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Haven't used any of them, but 480 Ruger is usually compared favorably to 44 magnum recoil, and milder than 454 Casull. 45-70 and 375JDJ are considered to have very strong recoil.

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
mkee said:
I currently own a TC Contender that I shoot heavy 45/70 loads with 350 gr RN bullets, and a 375 JDJ that I shoot moderately heavy loads with 300 gr hornady SP's. Now I'm looking to buy a large bore revolver. I've been thinking about a 454 Casull or a 480 Ruger in a Taurus Raging Bull. Can some of you guys compare the two for me in terms of felt recoil, and energy for hunting. Most of my shots for hunting are less than 100 yds.
Thanks,
Mkee
That is a difficult question to answer. Recoil is how you perceive it. What I think is mild my be heavy to someone else. You will have to shoot them and make the comparison for yourself. :D

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have a 480 in a SRH I can shoot it one handed no problem, but I am
using factory ammo so like redhawk said recoil is something different
for everybody moderate to me possible hemotoma to someone else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts