Graybeard Outdoors banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on best way to reduce recoil on 300 Win mag without a installing a muzzel break. Thinking about a mercury filled reducer in the stock... Thanks

·
Registered
449 Posts
R7,

Without installing a brake on the barrel, you can either add weight, or reduce your loads to reduce recoil. I assume that reducing the loads would not be your choice, nor would it be mine.

Mercury reducers do add weight. I am told that they are effective, but so is anything added into the stock that increases it's weight by 8 to 16 ounces, which is what most reducers weigh.

I would caution you that reducers add their weight in total to the butt of your rifle, and can cause an unbalanced feel. This might not bother you, but it is a consideration. The judicious addition of weight distributed in the forearm, wrist, and butt will give you a heavier, but balanced stock, that will be much handier to shoulder, and swing.

A little drilling can open up some relief areas that can be filled with lead, then glass bedded into place. With this technique, you can add a bit at a time until you feel that it is just right.

Best of luck with your rifle! :)

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Hmmm if the recoil is too much I would suggest another chambering! After all if your not comfortable with the recoil you won't shoot it well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. You are right about the weight. I rermember my grandfather putiting lead in his old shotgun.It was heavy,andi worked pretty well. I may try a mercury reducer,see how it feels. Just hoping for new technology that I didnt know about. As far as another caliber and guns. I have many more,including some cz. I like the ballistics on the 300 win mag. Shoulder just getting a little age on it.Can still shoot any of them well. Why even suggest other calibers,dont you think I already know that. To even suggest that I cant shoot well. Hahaha

·
Super Moderator
51,249 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
ronangelia7 said:
Thanks for the input. You are right about the weight. I rermember my grandfather putiting lead in his old shotgun.It was heavy,andi worked pretty well. I may try a mercury reducer,see how it feels. Just hoping for new technology that I didnt know about. As far as another caliber and guns. I have many more,including some cz. I like the ballistics on the 300 win mag. Shoulder just getting a little age on it.Can still shoot any of them well. Why even suggest other calibers,dont you think I already know that. To even suggest that I cant shoot well. Hahaha
Actually I said that if you uncomfortable with the recoil you won't shoot well. Not cannot shoot well! I can understand shoulder pain as I injured one at work, infact it caused me to leave that job and after several years it's still not right. Luckily it's my left and I shoot right handed. Pain when shooting often causes flinching and a flich destroys accuracy and can be the very devil to get rid of once acquired.

Yes .300 win mag is quite a good round but adding weight can also cause your shoulder problems from carrying the extra weight. However it's your shoulder so have fun ;) Let us know how it all works out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Brithunter. I am just siitting around board for the Holiidays. I wasn"t meaning to give ya hard time. All of us hunters,shooters have to stick together now days. Major gun issues to go before the Suprem Court soon. Please everyone support the NRA.

Ron

Ron, dunno if the misspelling of his user name was accidental or intentional but in the future either get it right or don't use it at all. That's not appropriate behavior and is I assume what prompted his reply which seems to have been removed already by the Moderator before I saw it. Graybeard.[/color]

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
ronangelia7 said:
Thanks biirdhunter. I am just siitting around board for the Holiidays. I wasn"t meaning to give ya hard time. All of us hunters,shooters have to stick together now days. Major gun issues to go before the Suprem Court soon. Please everyone support the NRA.

Ron
Edited due to personal attack on another GBO member.

Brithunter - This is a warning. We do not tolerate personal attacks on other members.
- CZman[/color]

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
This is not the first time that this deliberate miss-spelling has been done by the same person. However pointing out facts is name calling here it seems. The mods were supposed to look at this because I reported it. as I wanted to see what their reaction would be and now we know. Not that I should be surprised as it seems on this site any non-American is always in the wrong.

Oh what's the point?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am sorry about the miss spelling of a user name. I honestly did not do that on purpose. I will pay better attention to my spelling and typing in the future I was not trying to offend anyone or make anyone upset. Just simply wanted to try to figure a easy enconomical way to tame recoil on a 300 win mag. Next time I wont ask, just go with what I know or info on the net. I do thank everyone for the input.Have a Happy Holiday

Ron

·
Registered
301 Posts
Brithunter said:
This is not the first time that this deliberate miss-spelling has been done by the same person. However pointing out facts is name calling here it seems. The mods were supposed to look at this because I reported it. as I wanted to see what their reaction would be and now we know. Not that I should be surprised as it seems on this site any non-American is always in the wrong.

Oh what's the point?
Brithunter, What I saw was how you called another member names and personally attacked him. This is a direct violation of the rules here at GBO. I do not know if Rons misspelling was an accident or was intentional but either way he was warned as well. Also, I don't appreciate you trying to suggest that we treat foreigners any different than we treat Americans. I give all people respect regardless of their nationality. And by the way, the next time you want to report a post it would be wise to make sure you have not violated any rules yourself.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My opinion is that this site has always treated everyone fairly and does have a lot of good information on the shooting sports.. I don't know why someone would suggest otherwise. Granted I did make a typo mistake. There would be no reason to call a person names, or personally attack anyone,that person does not even know the person they are talking about.Its amazing how one thing can lead to another and get blown out of proportion. I have bought two CZ rifles because of information that I found here. They both function flawlessly and shoot well. I am thinking of purchasing a CZ 75 for IPSC competition. Always good to here suggestions and comments from like minded sportsman and hunters. Fortunately, I shoot better than I spell or type. Thanks

Ron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.