Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I'm looking for recommendations for a hunting rifle, chambered for .30-06, in either bolt or lever action (I'll be posting this to "Lever action rifles" forum as well).

Generally, I'd like to get a feel for what you all think is a good rifle. Use will be as expected...deer hunting and some recreational shooting (i.e. - target practice).

Any advice is most welcome. I expect everyone has their "favorites", which is just fine - just wondering what those favorites are, and why.

Thanks in advance,
mlb3427

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I own a Winchester M70 classic stainless 30-06. I owned a Remington 760 pump 30-06 before the M70. In a bolt action rifle I strongly recommend the Ruger M77 stainless laminated rifle. Yes the triggers usually need to have some work done on them but most other brands at least need the trigger adjusted out of the box. The Ruger is rugged, reliable, and good looking. I have a stainless synthetic Ruger M77 .243 to compare the Winchester to. I do like my Winchester but if I had to do it over I would have bought the Ruger.

·
Registered
398 Posts
What price range?? Kimber Montana will run about $900, Browning Abolt will be around $600, Remington SPS will be about >$400. Stevens will be $269.

What price range do u want and that will narrow it down? as you know, alot of guns fall in between these.......Tikkas being one which are around $550.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Don't overlook used guns. I found a M1917 Enfield sporter complete with old-school Weaver K-4 for $250. The only money I spent on it is a cut and crown. Free-floated the barrel myself. Puts my 180gr handloads in 1" groups @ 100 yards. I bought it to make a eargisplittenloudenboomer out of the action. It shoots so good I think I'll leave it in 30-06......for now.

ZM

·
Registered
561 Posts
Weatherby Mark V..... Mine shoots all gr bullets very accurately, particularly 220's, which incidentally, I have found to be a very effective deer round, with minimal meat damage..... I paid $499 some years ago
(fancy walnut, which quickly gave way to a $69 ramline). I love this setup for hunting, and it seems the Mark V in non Weatherby calibers, can still be found reasonably priced...sans fancy walnut!

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
On a budget?
For the money, the Stevens 200 is probably the way to go. Hearing nothing but great things about them. The old Savage 110 action-less the AccuTrigger.
The Mossberg 100ATR looks promising as well. Only chambered in 270 and 30-06 so far.
Both in the $250-280 mark.
The Weatherby Vanguard ( made by HOWA) shot very well too. And well built. Just a hair more than the other 2 but a little nicer blueing/etc..
I know you said a bolt or lever, but these little H&R/NEF single shot Handi rifles are an excellent value. Around $200 new and less used.

·
Registered
871 Posts
For bolt actions I like Win model 70, Savage/Stevens, Mossberg, Ruger,Vanguard, Kimber, and I hear Tikkas are very good to. So how much do you want to spend?

·
Registered
308 Posts
My suggestion is to handle and fire if possible as many BA guns as you can. There are many options in bolt action rifles chambered in 30-06 so its not a question of what's a good one, its a matter of what appeals to you. Factors such as cost, rifle weight, barrel lenght, stock material/configuration, stainless or blued, two pos or three pos. safety, hinged floorplate, blind mag, detachable mag, etc. are all things to consider. For example:

I don't hunt sheep or moutain goats and typically shoot within 200 yards. Therefore a ultra light rifle or a long barrel doesn't appeal to me. I find that standard weight rifles(balanced right) fit me best and are pretty versatile for me. I can shoot them pretty well if there's a bit of weight to them and it's balanced right. I like the feel of wood but the stabality of synthetic so I compromised (sort of)with laminated stocks on my bolt guns. I have a Savage M110E in 243 and a Ruger 77mkII (stain/lam) in 280 and love them both. If I had to buy another rifle right now, it would be another Ruger 77 stain/lam. FWIW, I got mine brand new for $489 out the door and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I would recommend a Winchester Model 70, preferably in a Sporter III or a Featherweight. I think that the balance and feel of the firearm is superior in these models.

I also have a Ruger M77, and would not recommend it because of the stock design and the trigger set up. Although Winchester now comes with a trigger that you supposedly are not able to adjust yourself, a little creativity and effort will correct that situation.

I also think that the Winchester barrel is superior. In three M70's that I've owned, I haven't experienced the roughness (and resulting chronic fouling) that the Ruger has. This is a problem not only in my M77 25-06, but a buddy's Ruger M77 7mm Rem Mag.

As for Remington, the new CDL comes closest to my tastes, but I've never owned one so I can't really say anything good or bad against it. You are making an excellent choice in caliber, too. You might want to top it with a scope such as the Leupold VXII or VXIII, or Nikon Monarch UCC. Good luck, and I don't think that a Winchester will disappoint you.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
mlb3427 said:
Hello - I'm looking for recommendations for a hunting rifle, chambered for .30-06, in either bolt or lever action (I'll be posting this to "Lever action rifles" forum as well).

Generally, I'd like to get a feel for what you all think is a good rifle. Use will be as expected...deer hunting and some recreational shooting (i.e. - target practice).

Any advice is most welcome. I expect everyone has their "favorites", which is just fine - just wondering what those favorites are, and why.

Thanks in advance,
mlb3427
If you want an accurate out of the box rifle that doesn't need a lot of tinkering with to get to shoot then get a Savage(http://www.savagearms.com/centerfire_home.htm) in whatever model that tickles your fancy. The money you'll save will allow you to get a good quality scope to mount on it. Lawdog
:D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Recommendation for 30.06

I would have to vote for a CZ 550 American. I have one in Win 270 and it is has been a great addition to the collection. I am also a fan of the Mauser 98 action too... It comes with a single stage set trigger which makes the 200+ yard shots easier, and 1" rings. I bought my though gunbroker.com and saved $100 over what the gun stores were selling it for after shipping and the $25 transfer fee.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
I have owned a bolt action mossberg 30-06 since the 70's and today she will still shoot 3/4" groups at 100yds after all these years it has served me very well for its $172 price i paid for it back them. My point is the new mossberg bolt action rifle is made by the same people in texas who manufacture the maverick shotguns. On the net on different sites I have only heard great things about the new mossberg and it has everyone talkingabout their out of the box accuracy too. I think they are the best bang for our buck buy on the planet right now for a new bolt action rifle. I have been thinking about getting one since my older mossberg is collectable now and it needs to be retired(it still looks brand new). I think these new mossbergs were around $214 at walmart with scopemounts but they could of gone up the last time i looked. Its out performing everything in its price range. BigBill

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a old REMINGTON MODEL 1917 in 30-06.It has a peep sight and it
dont miss.I would'nt sell it for anything. 8)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts