Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I'm looking for recommendations for a hunting rifle, chambered for .30-06, in either bolt or lever action (I'll be posting this to "Bolt action rifles" forum as well).

Generally, I'd like to get a feel for what you all think is a good rifle. Use will be as expected...deer hunting and some recreational shooting (i.e. - target practice).

Any advice is most welcome. I expect everyone has their "favorites", which is just fine - just wondering what those favorites are, and why.

Thanks in advance,
mlb3427

·
Registered
294 Posts
Since you specify 30-06 and not 30/30 I guess your looking for a little more power.
Levers in 30-06 make a pretty short list. You'll see the Browning BLR and the Winchester 95. May be one more but I cant think of another. The BLR takes a scope easily, the 95 does not easily take a mount if at all. The BLR is currently in production, not sure if the Win is or not and the newer Wins may be made by Browning. The Win Browning connection goes back many years. If you go to a .308 you get another choice or three, the Savage 99, Win 88, and Sako Finwolf.
The BLR is also avaible. The Sako and Win 88 are scarce and pricey. The Savage is less expensive and more availble, but also out of production. The BLR is still being made.
All of the above are excellent rifles. I currently have a BLR .308 and around half a dozen assorted Savages. I had a Win 88 but traded it back to the guy I got it from cause he wanted it more than I did. Another friend has a Sako, been trying to get that off him for about 15 yrs.
If you go to Bolt guns, the list is endless, every maker of bolt rifles American and foreign offers a 30-06.
Stick with name brands and you cant go wrong.
Savage bolts are usually inexpensive and very accurate, but not quite as pretty as Brownings, Remingtons, Wins, or Rugers.
Good luck, and enjoy your choice!

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I second what CJ said. If you handload, the .308 makes a lot of sense. You get almost the same velocity as the '06 with less powder for the same bullets. I have had them both, and like the short, fat cartridge better. Mine is in a model 88 Winchester and shoots 1" groups all day at 100 yards. BUT, those haven't been made in many years so you need to look on the used gun racks. Same with the Savage 99, another great rifle.

Let us know what you decide to do!

-WH-

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
In leverguns, the '06 BLR has all the grace and poise of a 6ft 2x4. The Japanese Win '95 copies have it beat hands down (I won't part with mine) but you are limited to open or some type of peep sight (bolt peeps expensive, receiver peep expensive and tang peep, love mine). Mine has taken everything that it has been pointed at from 100 to 235 yards. With handloads, it will do 2.5 inch 200 yard groups.

As stated, by dropping down to the .308 options are much better and loss in performance undetectable. My short action BLR's have been an extension of my arm for 30 years. A couple of friends use Savage 99's and won't trade them.

Special note. I would not pass up a 7-08 or .358 if offered either. Both very capable and versatile.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Blackhawk44,
I noticed that about the LA BLRs myself. I love my .308, so the 30-06 never really excited me. When the magnums came out I was interested until I handled one, then I went home and picked up my .308, totally different gun. But I guess someone likes those LAs.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Since you mentioned deer hunting and nothing else, I'd suggest the 308 as well. With lighter bullets (150-165) they are just about twins, plus a shorter overall length of gun and action.

Get a BLR in 308 or if in bolt guns there are dozens out there. Look at the Savage, and Weatherby offerings. Both are reliable and accurate rifles and are very affordable.

Even if you move to larger game, the 308 is capable. With a Partition type bullet in 165gr it is a bear or elk gun easily to 200yds or more. It is capable of killing either with standard bullets but the premiums offer a little more insurance.

Heck, our troops have killed many a man at ranges of 1000yds and more with the 308. I know a man is not a deer, but the 308 offers accuracy, power, and reliablilty, plus lots of cheap ammo out there to practice with.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Technically the BLR is a bolt action operated by a lever so you would be getting both in one gun. :) It has a rotaing bolt with locking lugs so it's the strongest lever operated rifle made. Amen to the long action versus short action comments, the 308 short action looks, and feels right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts