Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is a picture of that big pigs head after i cleaned it up i estimated him at 7 years old he had the extra tooth meaning he is a feral hog along with the pigs head is my 14 pointer i shot a couple years ago on the same lease http://www.hunt101.com/img/182267jpg

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
redhawk european mount of that big hog pic

I have one of the skulls from a hog I shot also. I think they look cool. As for the 14 pointer, I would of had the mounted. Good looking rack. :D

·
Registered
1,136 Posts

I haven't gotten a hog yet, but when I do I'd like to keep the skull. Could someone explain the process of preparing the skull for a european mount?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hello

im sure there are better ways to do it i know i have read JJ Hacks stories and his look real good the only way i know how to do it is to skin the skull scrape it and boil it others say putting it in a ant bed but im sure other critters would run off with it unless it was secured. i use modeling clay to help keep the teeth and tusks to stay in place hope this has helped

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts

Get all the flesh off of it, with out cutting into the bone and then boil it. Clean it up real good and let it dry out for a couple of days. Start removing the teeth which should fall out at this point so be carful. I use elmers glue to hold the teeth in place. I then get a small paint brush and paint elmers glue on the skull, and let it dry for a day. I apply more elmers glue and repeat one more time. Skull looks white and ready to mount on a nice board or plack. Hope this helped. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts