Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to sell one of my rifles. What are the laws about selling a rifle to an individual in NY? Any special paperwork that needs to be filled out?

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
As far as I know, as long as you're not a licensed dealer, there are no restrictions against selling traditional rifles in NY. I think this is one of the "Loopholes" legislators are trying to close. Might be a different story with military style firearms. Over the years, I have sold & advertised a few with no problem. I would, however, get a bill of sale with serial # signed by purchaser
to CMA in case it ended up in the wrong hands somewhere down the road.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I agree with rebal, assuming that both the buyer and seller are NYS residents. It is always a good idea to have a record of whom you sold a firearm to when the transfer is not done through a FFL dealer.

If the buyer is not a NYS resident then you MUST use a FFL dealer to complete the transfer.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Varmint said:
If the buyer is not a NYS resident then you MUST use a FFL dealer to complete the transfer.
Are you saying it is the seller's responsibility to check the residency of the buyer to determine NYS residency? If a non NYS resident, would the seller be breaking the law; the buyer; or both?

·
Administrator
26,167 Posts
DO NOT attempt to turn this thread into a Classifieds thread. Take it off forum or to the Classifieds Forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts