Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Nosler reloading book number 5 the H322 max load for a 120 BT is 28.5, Hodgen's max load for the same bullet is 26. A 2.5 grain difference seems like an awfull lot, and if I use 10% less as a starting load from the Hodgen recomended max I think I will be below Noslers starting load. What to do? Thanks-Ron

·
Registered
27 Posts
I shoot the 7tcu in a 10" and 14" barrel using H322 and find the Hodgdon manual to be right on. The Nosler load sounds hot. H322 is very flexible, I would start with the Hodgdon load and work up from there about .5 gr at a time.

Paul

·
Registered
39 Posts
Keep in mind that the closer the bullet is to the lands the more the pressure increases. If this is a factory 7tcu, then with the 120 grain nozler, your about 1/2 inch off the lands. This also means that the accuracy will be pretty bad (as mine was). I used the H322 in 4 different 5 shot groups starting at 25.5 and going up to 27 grains. The cases nor primers showed any signs of over pressurization. I couldn't get a group smaller than 4 1/2 inches at 100 yards. I'd feel secure in doing it again if I was going to shoot 120's again.
I just purchased a box of Sierra Matchking BTHP's in 168 grain. They should be long enough to reach the lands and I'll back off the charge quite a bit and start at the lowest recommended and go up until l get good accuracy or reach a max grain load, whichever comes first. If I can get a way with a minimum charge and still get sub MOA, I'll be delighted!

·
Registered
592 Posts
I haven't tried any 120gr bullets in my TCU, but I have fired some fireforming loads with 130gr BTSP's. My first groups averaged around 1", but I didn't shoot them much. I did notice some flattened primers, which confused me because I was using a starting load of around 24gr of H335. The load averaged around 2000fps, and I haven't tried any other loads yet.

I did notice that Nosler does list some hot loads for the 7mm TCU, especially compared with other books. They show an especially hot load using RL-7, which claims 2400fps with a 120gr bullet out of a 14" barrel. I can't remember the exact load, but it was well above (at least 2-2.5grs) what other books listed as max.

H322 should work very well with the TCU, but start low and watch for pressure signs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts