Graybeard Outdoors banner

Reloading 7x57R for a Valmet 412 combi gun

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Drilling Man 
#1 ·
I’m looking for some advice for when I eventually reload for my new (to me) Valmet 412 in 12/7x57R.

I have read on this site and elsewhere that 7x57R should be reloaded starting at 10% less than 7x57 for the weaker actions of break open rifles (compared to bolt actions or Ruger No. 1s). However, this appears to be intended for other makes and designs than the Valmet 412.

As the 412 action is designed to handle the more powerful cartridges of .30-06 and 9.3x74R, does one need to load down the 7x57R?

Thanks for your time.

Andrew

#2 ·
9.3x74R is NOT a high pressure round, and from what I've seen, rounds like the 30-06 seem to have MAX chambers to relieve some of the pressure.

IF it was me, I would start low and work up to see what pressures the 7x57R brass shows...

DM

#3 ·
Congrats on the Valmet, for the caliber you have makes it a particularly useful cartridge for most of the hunting one might do in the "lower 48". As has been said, "break actions" of this design are not normally designed to "hold" the pressures of "bolt" guns (the single shot Merkels and Krieghoff being a couple of exceptions). I found 7X57R data in Norma's (new) reloading manual, but unfortunately it only gives loads for their powder. Looking at their 7X57R, compared to their regular 7X57 (bolt) loads, their Max loads only look to be 1 to 2 grains less with "like" bullets. On the section on 7X65R, which is also used with break action guns, they state that because of the weaker actions they hold the pressures to 55,100 PSI or less. The Valmet I have owned had an extra set of 30/06 barrels, and I worked up loads that were at least 2 to 4 grains under Max. I had more trouble finding a load that would "print to the sights" than finding a load the Valmet would digest. I would not (and did not) load this type of action like an Encore, or one of the more expensive Jager rifles. The Valmet is a fairly strong action, as far as shotgun designs go (sliding top breech and all), but they will shoot loose with volume firing "abuse" (just pick up and open one that has been used for trap or skeet over a long period!). You've got a nice, versatile gun (if it's been taken care of); cases may be a little hard to find, but I'm sure S&B, RWS, and Norma may be of help. Good luck!

#4 ·
Most important thing of all in a 412 is, to MAKE SURE that the recoil lug on the bottom of the bbl., is taking the recoil, NOT the buttons on the side of the action that the bbls pivot on!

Those buttons and the matching recess' on the bbls should be kept spotless and then a very LIGHT "film" of grease put on the mating surfaces.

I use synthetic automotive grease, it only takes a film of grease, more is not better...

DM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.