Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I have been looking into reloading for a while now and was wondering what components would be good to start off with? I'm new to this but my dad has done a bit of reloading and we have a rcbs rockchucker press and pretty much everything else. But as far as powder and bullets etc. what should I get. Mainly I'll be after coyotes, lookin to make a few bucks there. And maybe black bear although I intend on doing that with a bow.
Anyways, the barnes varminators look to be a **** of a deal at 40 bucks for 250 rounds. I was thinking the 72 grain ones would be pretty good. Or should I maybe go for the 58 grain ones? As far as powders go I'm kind of clueless. Some buddies of mine have given me some brass and my dad's got lots of primers in all sizes (he found a huge box of em at a garage sale a while ago).

Thanks

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Misterguy, i used imr 3031 a little bit and I beleive it was 4350 that shot real good with a sierra 70 gr bull. I dont have my load data with me right now(its at my buddys house) But i will try to get over there to check and get back to you on that. If i was to get one or the other i would get them 72 grners I have heard that the 55 gr. hornadys didnt shoot well in other rifles. I was bout ready to try em in mine and got maybe 5 shots off and noticed that the breach face had a crack in it. so... while it sits at home, i continue to nag my dad into taking to the post office. prob is i will probley end up bringing it up here and sending it off on my own. :-[ But anyways. I'm sure that some others on here will contribute some excelent loads!
Hank.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Misterguy - I have a .243 Ultra varmint fluted. I shoot two bullets by Combined Technology. 55 gr for varmints and yotes and 95 gr for antelope and deer. 55 gr with H414 and 95 gr with IMR 4350. I'll get you the numbers if you want. Both will do under 1/2" at 100yds.from my rifle. Requires change of zero when changing ammo. - F50

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Fanner50 I understand the ultra varmint fluted has a 24" barrel while my handi has only a 22" barrel. Do you think this will make much of a difference? Do the light bullets have a fair amount of killing power in em? I was thinking the 70 grain range would be kinda nice and middle of the the road so to speak. These might be a little bit easier to work with. I was also thinking that light bullets from such a short barrel would kind of shoot a little bit erratic. Keep in mind I'm on a bit of a budget. Then again I might just use 80 gr winchester bulk bullets. Thats what comes on super x's and I had them shooting pretty good. I'm rather new to this stuff so please forgive me.

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
If you're you want to save the hides using the 243, I'd suggest you use a better bullet than the light varmint bullets, something that's not going to be so exposive, a smallish hole in and slightly bigger out would be better than a destructive explosion and no exit, Varmint Al uses the Nosler 95gr Ballistic tip in the .243.

Tim

http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've shot 60 grain and 80 grain bullets out of my standard barrel handi with IMR 4064 and IMR 4350. I couldn't get the 4064 to work well with the heavier bullets, but the 4350 shot well with both weights. The 60 grain bullets will shoot through a coyote most of the time with broad side shots and leave a fairly large exit hole. The heavier bullets will also shoot through but the slower bullet seems to leave a smaller hole on the way out. My records show that about 41.6 grains shot well with the 80 grain spitzer and 43.5 with the 60's. You may have to tweek it a little for your rifle. These are not maximum loads but I would suggest you get your minimum/maximum limits out of a reloading manual and work up to whatever your gun shoots best. If you plan to go after coyotes with your 243 I would suggest you invest in a needle and thread and have fun.

·
Registered
198 Posts
imr 4350 work's well..as quick mentioned i would avoid "varmint" bullet's for coyote's..many folk's make the mistake of putting coyote's in the same classification as prairie dog's & large rodent's & such..a coyote is very tough..i'm old school i like soft point's..

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
If they're accurate, I'd certainly give em a try, you won't know unless you do, go poke a coyote with one!! ;) I'd stay away from the shoulder tho, bones become projectiles when hit with that much energy, I'd shoot tight behind the shoulder to minimize hide damage, if the bullet holds up good, you should end up with a hole in and a hole out.

Tim

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I just ordered an Ultra Varmint in .243 (it's a Christmas present, I gonna have trouble waiting!). I've been interested in the Barnes banded solids for just this purpose. Does anyone else have any experience with these?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a handi 243 and I use 58 grain hornaday v-max bullets with h414 with 48.5 grains of powder and it shoots 1" at 100 yards plus it has great killing power.

·
Registered
207 Posts
.243 maybe for black bear? Definitely wouldn't be my first choice but maybe that's because I am just overly cautious and would rather take a .30 or larger to offer a little more 'ventilation'... :eek:

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Imr 4064 with 85 Gr Sierra Pro-Hunter works for me out to 300 yards. My gun just doesn't like boat-tails. For deer my prefered load for .243 is 100 gr. Pro-Hunter and IMR 4350. This barrel responded well to neck sizing and seating the bullets close to the lands.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've tried several different bullets and powders for my 243's and I always come back to H4350 or IMR4350 for the powder. I actually like the H-4350 a little better but they both served me well with several different bullets. One of my favorite loads is a 75 v-max over 45 grains of H4350. It shoots into 1 hole if I do my part. May be a little messy on the yotes though. FWIW, I've shot the 58 grain barnes varminators and I didn't really like them. For some reason I could only get decent accuracy at near max loads in 3 different rifles.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
misterguy said:
Gotcha ;) How bout them winchester soft points in 80 gr? Or should I keep er above 90?
The 80 grain softpoints and 4350 should work just fine but as Tim said, try to keep them in the ribs. There really is nothing wrong with using an 85, 87, 90 or 100 grain bullet for both coyotes and deer. You didn't mention any reloading manual and if you don't have one I'd say that should be your first purchase.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts