Graybeard Outdoors banner

Reloading the 45acp gun powder question?

15K views 44 replies 34 participants last post by  Bob Roach 
#1 ·
i normally use unique gun powder but it's no longer offered or found. What powder can I replace it with that's close?

#3 ·
1911crazy said:
i normally use unique gun powder but it's no longer offered or found. What powder can I replace it with that's close?
Alliant is still making and selling Unique...."most versatile powder made" as described by Alliant.

#4 ·
I used to use Bullseye exclusively. Then I discovered 231/HP-38 HP-38 is now gone, but 231 has been great for almost 20 years now.

I also like #2 but thats usually harder to attain. ;D ;D ;D

CW

#10 ·
Not much out there that the 45 ACP doesn't like but for 185/200 grain, the best I've found for accuracy in my pistols is VV N310, bullseye and WW231 in that order and for 230 to 265 grain I'll stick with VV N350.

What's the difference in accuracy between N310 and 231? I really doubt there is any when the right load is found but with low powder charges, the N310 burns clean.

#11 ·
used to us 310 in my ppc load for the 38s. Its a great powder but can be expensive and hard to find. So much so that I switched to bullseye.
ole said:
Not much out there that the 45 ACP doesn't like but for 185/200 grain, the best I've found for accuracy in my pistols is VV N310, bullseye and WW231 in that order and for 230 to 265 grain I'll stick with VV N350.

What's the difference in accuracy between N310 and 231? I really doubt there is any when the right load is found but with low powder charges, the N310 burns clean.

#12 ·
Powder Valley normally has Vihtavuori in stock but one should order with a group of fellows getting enough powder and primers to keep the cost down, as shipping and hazmat adds to the overall cost. 4#'s is $110.00 + the freight.

#15 ·
W231 for me also. All I have to do is re-adjust the meter on the Dillion and I can use it in .40. Only time I used anything else was some AA No.5 for some 180gr.,HP screamers I wanted to try. I believe they call them the flying ashtray. Still have some loaded. To expensive to knock some steel plates around thou. gypsyman

#19 ·
HP38 is available at Natchez

BF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.