Graybeard Outdoors banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts
I did a little experimenting a couple years ago loading for the 45GAP. As load data is a little thin I decided to see what worked well in it. I proceeded to buy and borrow samples of every shotgun and handgun powder that I thought should work in a 45acp / 45GAP. I worked with the following powders with 200 grain Round Nose Missouri Bullet Company Odd Ball bullets.
Titegroup
AA#2
AA#5
American Select
Unique
700X
True Blue
Universal
HP38
800X
Longshot
WST
WSF
CFE Pistol
BE86
ZIP
Solo 1000
Green Dot
e3
Clays
Red Dot
HS6
20/28
Power Pistol

Every Powder listed above would produce useable practice ammunition. I have a note on 800X that says Unburned Powder at 6.0 grains. Another note recommends Longshot and CFE Pistol for Practice Carry Ammo. I am 100% sure that all the above powders will work reasonably well for practice ammo in 38 Special and I am sure other non-magnum handgun ammunition. I have been a Unique Loader for 50 years. I started working with other powders when I could not find Unique, and discovered lots of other powders worked just fine.

Bob R

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.