Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any reviews of the CDL stainless fluted? Particularly the 270wsm?
I want one bad!

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
By the way it has recently become fashionable to criticize the Tikkas as being cheaply made for the price charged. I own both a Remington 700 and a Tikka T3 and the 700 is much more cheaply made than the Tikka and cost quite a bit more.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Every CDL SF I've looked at was very nicely done, and appeared to be a very nice rifle. The CDL SF's have the new X-Mark Pro trigger as well. But, I am not aware of any reviews of the CDL SF specifically, nor can I offer up one myself. As far as functionality, accuracy, etc., I can't imagine why a CDL SF wouldn't be at least as good as any other 700. Any and every rifle is a crap shoot, but Remington 700's have a long and proven track record. I have quite a few, and have had even more, and the majority of 700's are quite accurate, some being incredibly accurate. I have a CDL SF in 264WM being held hostage at the local money pit right now, it will be liberated come Monday. Bottom line, if you like it, git it!!!

Questor, I thought this was a Remington thread? Don't get me started on T3's! ;D ;D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I picked up the Rem 700 CDL SF in a 300whizzum this year. So far, 1 antelope dead with more dead critters to come. It shoots lights out.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I believe that what you are going to find is that the Model .270 Winchester Short Magnum is a dud.

Winchester - in their haste to come out with newer versions of the wheel did not do their homework..
The bullet might fly faster and farther, but the ammo is so expensive that most people will not waste their hard earned greenbacks to buy one.

In time that ammo is going to get harder to come by and more expensive.

In the very near future, nobody is going to manufacture a modern rifle in that particular caliber / WSM and it will become obsolete. For the most part, Winchester is out of buisness and Browning is so over priced that it is just a matter of time.

A good example of some other caliber's that had the same problem is the 22 Jet, 22 rocket, 7 mm Express Remington - which later changed it's name to .280 Remington.

My dad said that the 7mm didn't do well because they already had a .270 Winchester and there was not a lot to be gained by jumping a couple of thousandths bigger in diameter. Plus the veterans of WW I and WW II had hard feelings against the Germans and the Japanese and didn't like anything that had a MM after it because they associated it with the war and the junk rifles that the Japanese carried.

Wykopedia
History
Having been released 32 years after the.270 Winchester and having no particular advantage over its predecessor, it had somewhat unspectacular sales; Remington renamed the cartridge in 1979, calling it the 7 mm Express in an attempt to increase sales. This resulted in people confusing it with the 7 mm Remington Magnum and Remington eventually changed the name back to .280 in 1981.

The .280 Remington is capable of developing energy nearly equal to the .30-06 Springfield, but with lighter bullets having a better ballistic coefficient. Thus, the .280 has a better trajectory and retains more energy downrange. However, the .30-06 produces more energy than the .280 with bullets heavier than 180 grains. The .280 is suitable for hunting any game in North America.

The .280 Remington is not popular in Europe, where it competes with the 7 x 64 Brenneke, to which has almost identical ballistics . When compared to the .280 Remington the 7 x 64 has a slightly higher maximum allowed chamber pressure and as an European 7 mm cartridge has a slightly larger bore. European 7 mm cartridges all have 7.24 mm (0.285 in) grooves Ø diameter. American 7 mm cartridges have 7.21 mm (0.284 in) grooves Ø.

In 20 years, Wykopedia will have asimilarr entry for the .270 WSM

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
I'm very happy with my 270WSM, even though it's a Winchester Super Shadow. Very , very, good accuracy. 1/2"-3/4" groups with factory ammo and the $400 rifle. Deadly on deer out to 400 yards. Each to his own I guess. I have a 300WSM also in the same rifle with the same results........

·
Registered
69 Posts
Gamemaster, Pardon me, but that's hogwash!

If you think the 270WSM is a dud, what do you suppose my 264WM is? ;D ;D Yeah, 270WSM ammo is more expensive now, than say, a 270Win or a 243Win, and maybe will always be so, I don't know. And, if truth be known, I don't care. But, a DUD?!?! Naw, neither the 270WSM or it's stable mate the 300WSM are duds. They are both chambered by a large number of manufacturers, and a large number of rifles have already been sold chambered for these rounds, unlike the examples you have cited. MY favorite WSM is the 7mm, so I suppose that puts me WAAAY out in the rhubarb!!

Your dad said the 7mm didn't do well, because we already had the 270?? How does he explain the ubiquitous 7mmRM? All that Wikipedia stuff about the 280 is completely irrelevant, since there have been more 270WSMs sold in the last four years or so, than 280's will ever sell. The 280 always was a dud. The 270WSM is here to stay.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I can not comment on the CDL model. But I can on the 700xcr in 270wsm. I purchased mine last winter and I have not recreted it. I installed a Burris Euro-Diamand 2.5x10 with a 44mm objective. This scope has the Ballistic Plex retical. I used Warne bases and rings. Had a fellow Benchrest shooter tune the trigger to a crisp 2.0 Ibs. and free floated the barrel. I did the barrel break-in proceedure and chronographed Winchester's 150gr. Power-Point ammo at 3200fps. and getting 1/2" groups at 100yds. I have not shot any animals with yet. But next week I have a cow elk tag that needs to be filled and next month I have a doe deer tag that needs to be filled. So I am going to be using the Remington model 700xcr in 270wsm with the Winchester 150gr. Power-Points to fill my tags. My son just purchased a used Winchester model 70 in 300wsm and will be using it to try to fill his bull elk tag. So with that being said I do believe that the 270 and 300 wsm's wil be around a while.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Good news, friends and neighbors, I liberated my CDL SF 264WM from layaway limbo this afternoon, and it now resides at a proper home (mine)!! I am thrilled to have yet another 264 in the fold, but sadly the chances of me getting this rifle up and running this year are essentially nil. I simply have too many other projects going right now. Not to mention, I am in the middle of a major home renovation project as well. Hopefully, some time next year, and I hope to give a excellent report! Thanks for your support!! ;D ;D ;D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts