Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an old Rem mod 6 action, improved all steel action. It is a falling block. I was thinking of fixing a barrel to it in .17 HRM and my question is.... Can it handel it? I don't want to ruin the little action. I could sell it to a collector and put the money to get a .17. Any ideas, thanks. JB

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Rem improved mod 6 in .17 HRM can it stand

I would strongly advise against this conversion. While neet little rifles they would most likely not be a match for the pressures generated by the 22 WMR/17 HMR. A 580-581 would be a much better candidate.. or just buy one already built and spend the money you save on ammo!!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
converting to .17 HRM

JBMauser,

You asked the same question on the Single Shot Rifle Board a few days ago.

As I stated then, I will state again that the conversion is not a good idea. Gunnut69 is correct that the old Remington Model 6 was/is not stressed for the pressures of a modern .22 WRM or the new .17 HRM.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but even a major manufacturer like Remington had it's share of difficulties in fielding for the 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum less than a generation ago. All of the model 580/581 series bolt-action rifles were recalled for firing pin, burst rim and extraction problems. The 5mm RFM is now a dead end and cartridges are collectors items.

Gunnut69's advice to convert a Remington 580/581 is probably your best route if you are determined to have a customized .17 HRM rifle. It would probably be difficult to even FIND a qualified gunsmith that would be willing to tackle this project.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks John Traveler, I have posted this question in a variety of places because I have gotten responses both for and against the project. As far as the question of the action goes. the falling block seems to have adaquate mass and strengt to handle the recoil pressure of the light bullet and the back up pressure that is added by a bottle neck cartridge. I do not "think" that the extractor or firing pin on the Imp. Model 6 would be a problem as both appear to be "over built" as compared to many functional bolt .22s but I don't know. In my mind I have to compare the PSI pressure between the .17 and .22 on the mechanical system in the recoil direction. The block of the model 6 is colored as if it has been case hardened. I suppose if it were to wear it would stretch the pivit hole out of round and egg shape it if the stress were to great. The model 6 can handle a decent dia. barrel and with modern steel or a liner I am sure those pressures are all manageable. I don't know anything about the 5mm action. A Winchester Low Wall can handle from .22 to 25/20 and more. I guess I am just thinking along the same lines. once the block/bolt is in battery what can it safely handle? JB

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts

The Number 6 action is not a falling block, it is a modified rolling block and is most assuredly not capable of tolerating the pressures of either the 22 mag or the 17HMR. The stress a cartridge applies to an action is a function of the peak pressure and the time in barrel curve. The latter a function of velocity. Still regardless of the time the pressure is applied the peak pressure is still the peak pressure. That old action is in no way as strong as a low wall winchester(original) and is a far cry from the strength of the last generation low walls, made from modern materials. There were low walls in this last generation chambered in 22 rimfire and one of those would be most suitable for either the 22 mag or the 17HMR. Perhaps you could even have a switch barrel rifle made, would be most interesting indeed..

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imp. model 6 in .32 long.

gunnut69, I have some more data. It seems that the Imp model 6 was also chambered in .32 long. The only data I have is that it fired a 90gr. lead bullet over 13 grains of BP. I do not know how to figure the pressure generated by that load to compare to the modern .17 HRM Do you know where I might look or ask to compute that pressure? JB

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts

The 32 rinfire was still a low pressure round. It most probably generated no more pressure than the 22 LR. I would refer you to DeHass book on single shot rifles. His opinion is that the No6 is not suitable to any other caliber.. good luck from the gunnut69

1 - 7 of 7 Posts