Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the opinions. I am looking at a nice used Sendero and a new Savage 12 BVSS for a 25-06 deer gun. I hear lots of glowing reports on the Savage rifles, but would like to hear how they compare to the Sendero's. Thanks for the help.

OUrabmen

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a Remington Sendero in 7MM Mag and a Savage 12BVSS in 223. Obviously quite different calibers but both are super accurate. I like them both. However, I would opt for the Savage. The Savage is cheaper and comes with an adjustable trigger. The Accutrigger is awsome. It also saves you about $40 or so, the cost of a gunsmith trigger job on the Remington which will no doubt have a heavy pull. Savages used to get a bad rap for all kinds of problems but the recent Savages are really super accurate for the money. It is every bit as accurate as the Remington at a better price and with a better trigger.

Also, how used is that Remington? How many rounds are through it? I'm a little fanatical about barrel life. The 25-06 is fairly overbore and rough on the barrel if you shoot it alot. I'd go new.

I also have a Remington 700 in 25-06 and am on my second barrel. The 25-06 is awsome on deer. One of my favorite calibers.

My 2 cents.

Good shooting.

·
Registered
506 Posts
They are 2 of my favorite rifles. I have the sendero in 25-06, and a 12bvss in 243 (also have a 12fvss in 223). I think you will find they are both accurate rifles but in my experience the Savage's tend to shoot a bit better. I don't know how you plan to use it as a deer rifle but if you will have to do any walking weight may be a factor. Both are heavy rifles but my sendero is much lighter than the 12bvss I have. That laminate stock really adds some weight. I also prefer the HS Precision stock on the sendero for hunting, the stock on the savage seems better suited for the bench. If your quest is simply for accuracy I'd chose the Savage but for a hunting rifle I would chose the sendero. One other thing worth noting is that the 25-06 sendero has been discontinued for some time now. I don't know how much the sendero was shot but its probably at least 5-6 years old. If it hasn't been shot much it may be a good opportunity to pick one up as they are getting harder to find since they have been discontinued.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Owning both brands I have to say go with the Savage if you want accuracy. Lawdog
:D

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought the Savage 112BVSS in 25-06 and am very pleased with it. The rifle is accurate and will shoot sub moa easily. I did bed the action and changed out the factory recoil lug for a thicker one. I've added 2 PacNor barrels made for this rifle, one in 308 and another in .243 using the this action and stock as the basis for a swithc barrel. It takes about 20 minutesto change the barrel out - all you need is the barrel wrench, vise and headspace gages.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts