Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found what may be a heck of a deal tonight in gander mountain. i stumbled on a rem. 600 mohawk in .6mm rem. it comes with a browning 3-9 scope and appears in good shape. its marked $250. on gunbroker bidding is starting out at $450 and going up from there for them. the clerk told me they go strictly off blue book value, which is based on blueing wear. sure didn't look too bad to me.

·
Registered
185 Posts
remington 600 mohawk .6mm, would you pay th

That sounds like a good price. I would get. I have one in 243 its a great shooter. The plastic trigger guard is the only problem I had with mine, but I got a steel one now so its all good.
A local shop had one in 222 for a while. They were asking almost $500 for it I tried to talk them down but they wouldnt budge. They did get what they were asking for.

Ron

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Bolt Action Rifles

thelaw

I would jump on it like a duck on a june bug,Those are fine little rifles.
The ones i have delt with are as honest as the day is long. Sold a lot of them when i had my shop, Never had one to come back Good luck........Joe........

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

My brother-in-law had one of those when they were first on the market. Even my silly sister knew better, she got rid of both him and the gun. There is a reason they didn't sell well, styling is only a part of it. The action went on to become the pistol action. :roll:

·
Registered
185 Posts

Slamefire I would like to know why they didnt sell well?
In the 15 year run from the 600, mohawk, & the 660 the sold almost 250,000 guns. Thats a lot of guns.
Production of the XP-100 the pistol I think your refering to started in 1963. The first 600 was produced in 1964.
Times change the old must give way to the new. A company can only keep so many lines in production.
They are still good guns I would take an old 600 over a new 700 anyday.

Ron

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

Ok, Ron, here goes. When they first came out they were available in loud, hard kicking, (in this particular platform) cartridges. More than a couple of these have sinced joined that space cadet rifle. The barrel was too short for the times when hearing protection came in slim and none. The plastic rib, floorplate and trigger guard spoke wonders to folks raised when quality had a meaning. Revising it into the 660 saved some of its reputation, and of course private label sales by hardware stores padded the sales figures. Try and tell the average rifle buyer how to remove the bolt, and watch the confusion in his eyes. Explain the reason he can't put it down on a flat surface without it's falling over, and watch the NO SALE cash register flag pop up in his eyes. Tell a young musician why the tintinitus hangs on for days.
You may like 'em, that's your right, "De gustibus non disputatum est". Now folks are tryin' to make a classic out of a mistake. Oy vey! :roll:

·
Registered
70 Posts

Probably won't find many old rifles that can be considered perfect, except for the aesthetics.
In fact, the individual is continually advised on the observance of proper maintenance and the proper handling of firearms, which is their responsibility.

The alternate option of course, is to spend mega-bucks on a custom rifle that hasn't been the target of someone criticising its every flaw in design.

Here are a couple of articles that include the history of the Model 600.
Many of the pros loved this rifle and the new magnum calibers it introduced.
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/gun_columns/notes/0503/

More attributes of the Model 600 from Chuck Hawks here:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/rem_673_syn.htm

Quote found on a couple sites on the Internet:
"In the mid-60’s Remington‚ introduced the Remington Model 600™ Magnum, a rifle destined to become legendary with many big game guides. Decades later Remington introduces a modern version of the classic Model 600 — the new Model 673 Guide Rifle"

·
Registered
9 Posts

There are good reasons why those 30+ year old weapons commonly sell for as much as and sometimes substantially more than a new gun. You have found much more than a bargain if that rifle is in even half way decent condition. Remington hasn't made much that interested me in years but I too would be on that like white on rice. Wish I had found that as it would already be in the safe.
fiream29

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Bolt Action Rifles

Slamfire

How did you get off the turnip truck :)

·
Registered
319 Posts

It all depends on the condition of the rifle, especially the barrel. I always thought the Remington model 600 was a good rifle, and certainly the 6mm Rem is an excellent choice of caliber. Check the stamping and make sure it's marked 6mm Rem. and not .244. The .244 Rem. didn't have a barrel twist that would stabilize the heavier 100gr bullets. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts