Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a new Remington 700 ss .308 24 5-R mil spec. It arrived today, doubled boxed with no damage to the box. I was very disappointed to find the bolt handle lying separate from the bolt in the bottom of the box. It fell off in transit. It appears that it wasn't welded to the bolt. I was surprised that a gun this expensive would make it out of the factory with a problem like this. I've bought many inexpensive firearms and I've never seen or heard of this problem unless someone abused the bolt or did a poor job of attaching an aftermarket handle.

Remington has a reputation for high quality and I'm sure this must be one of those wierd things that happen from time to time. I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of this happening to a new gun this expensive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I gave up on Remington.Their quality control leaves a lot to be desired.The bolt handle problem has been with them for years.If you do get a good rifle then its time to rework trigger and float barrel.Maybe then it will shoot.I use Savage now.They are out of the box far more accurate than Remington.I have been a Remington man all my life. Just got tired of having to mess with them to make them shoot

·
Registered
802 Posts
I believe Remington glues their bolt handles on the bolts (yeah, I know this sounds like I been smoking something). The only time I have heard of them coming off, at least before this post, was from some yahoo shooting handloads so hot he had to stomp the bolt open or use something to hammer it open. Sorry for your inconvenience.

Buffalo, I still like "big greens" rifles, but you are right about the Savages being accurate out of the box! I've got a Savage model 111 in 270win that I wouldn't trade for just about anything.

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
It happens. If you want an accurate rifle you need a Remington. They will make it right. By the way Remington bolt handles aren't welded. The are silver soldered.

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
I'd like to see pictures.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'm terrified of my 788's bolt handle coming off

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I own 8 Remington 700's and have never had a bolt problem. I did know a Yahoo who in the late 60's was shooting to hot of rounds and had to hammer the bolt open. It did come open several times before the handle fell off too. He had to send the whole bolt to Remington who fixed it despite his stupidity. They told him he had to send the whole bolt as it was machined for that rifle.

;D Al

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
On a recent hunt on a 20 acre parcel of land I found 16 Model 700 bolt handles. They were everywhere. ::)

·
Registered
753 Posts
pashooter10 said:
I recently purchased a new Remington 700 ss .308 24 5-R mil spec. It arrived today, doubled boxed with no damage to the box. I was very disappointed to find the bolt handle lying separate from the bolt in the bottom of the box. It fell off in transit. It appears that it wasn't welded to the bolt. I was surprised that a gun this expensive would make it out of the factory with a problem like this. I've bought many inexpensive firearms and I've never seen or heard of this problem unless someone abused the bolt or did a poor job of attaching an aftermarket handle.

Remington has a reputation for high quality and I'm sure this must be one of those wierd things that happen from time to time. I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of this happening to a new gun this expensive.

When I had my FFL to buy from them (Remington)I had to go thru a Distributor/Wholesaler so how you get a firearm shipped from the factory direct to you?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Defective 700 bolt handles heh? I've had more than 10 and toss the relatives 700's into the mix and we have well over 30, a bolt problem has never arisen, and personally it's something I have never even thought about and never will, well not until I'm given a reason to be concerned.

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
sniperVLS said:
Defective 700 bolt handles heh? I've had more than 10 and toss the relatives 700's into the mix and we have well over 30, a bolt problem has never arisen, and personally it's something I have never even thought about and never will, well not until I'm given a reason to be concerned.
;D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.