Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought about getting one but wasnt sure of the quality and accuracy. Anyone tested them out? How'd they do?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Remington 710

I bought a 710 .270 when they first came out. With Remington factory 130 Corelocks it shot 2" groups. That is larger than I like but that's what it shot. Since then I have shot two eight point bucks and a large fork horn. Distance on the eight pointers was 140 yards and 310 yards. (Lazer sighted- I hunt from an elevated stand in the middle of a large corn field/pasture- no cows) The fork horn was about 50 feet. The fifty footer and the 140 yarder dropped in their tracks, the 310 yarder dropped, laid there awhile then struggled to his feet and went about 40 yards and dropped dead. (Just before I was going to nail him a second time)
I am very pleased with the performance of the .270. (I used 30-06's for 30 years but always wanted to try a .270)
I went to work this summer trying to get smaller groups and finally arrived at 58 grains of H4831 over a Hornady 130 grain Interlock for groups just under an inch. That is more like I was looking for.
The gun is a little heavy at nine pounds loaded with sling but for the money I don't think it can be beat. (although I am reading some good things about a Stevens- savage in cheap dressing- out there)
I wanted a gun that wasn't going to be affected by the weather and other climate changes and I think this is it.
I hope this helps you out,
williek

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
you opened a can of worms here. if your wanting the 710 for a hunting gun it will do you just fine my boss has one that will put he first five in to the same hole at 100 yards. the only bad thing about the 710 is that it doesn't have any aftermarket stuff like the 700 does . if you just want a gun to shoot deer the 710 will do you just fine .

·
Registered
570 Posts
the 710 is a good rifle and is chambered in 270,300 win mag 7mm rem mag
and 30/06 I think all are proven rounds so its a matter of choice on which
round you want.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I a guy i was hunting with bought a 710. I first shot to sight it in cut his eye, b/c the the crappy scope they come with.....on the second shot, somehow the trigger gaurd broke off!!!

Definitely go with either a 700 SPS, Vangaurd, or Stevens 200.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would look at a Savage 110, Stevens 200 or look for a fire sale on the soon to be discontinued M700 ADL series. A good quality used rifle is a better deal than a 710 throw away gun. Can't modify or rebarrel it.

Both Wally-Worlds near my place can't give 710's away.

This is my opinion. Your opinion may vary.

ZM

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm not wild about the Remington 710, but I'm not likely to need one. The 710 is designed for the guy who goes out after deer a couple of times a year, nothing more. It's a simple hunting rifle for the occasional hunter who merely wants something that will shoot well enough to bag his quarry. Just one mans opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I see why Remington released the model 710-good for your average Joe that can't afford much. And then give him the Remington name, at a cheaper price. Savage and some others have been doing this for a while, though the market has increased for these "budget rifles"-and they can achieve some great feats. But this is not to be compared to a model 700 by any means. For a normal deer gun with deer hunting accuracy, it will do fine. But so will a $50-150 Mosin Nagant or Mauser. A no nonsense rugged gun=yes. Personally I would opt for the Stevens, NEF/H&R of even a Mossberg 100 ATR about the same results, if not better.
If I found one for cheap, I would buy it. But not for what Walmart is asking...Rather have a Savage. VERY accurate and well built, though perhaps not the prettiest rifle on the market.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I got the 710 in .300mag,I like it because it has a longer barrel then my
Stevens 200 in 7-08.As for looks,there both butt ugly(synthetic stocks)
8)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts