Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went through a bunch of them a few years ago and could never get one that was accurate ( my test is shooting milk jugs at 300 yds. ) I now suspect the problem was with the cheap scopes I used. Although other guys at the range used tasco's and they shot fine. Just for the record, I've never seen or had a 7400 jam (so why do they call them jam o matics)
I bought a Model 4 ,.270 and it was the most accurate semi that I've ever shot and I've shot them all(I hunt with a BAR) but it has always seemd ackward to me and a tad heavy.
So, I'm toying with the idea of getting another one, what should I reasonably expect in the way of accuracy. I saw some where on the forum that a guy shot golf balls with his at 100 yds, that's great and that is the kind of accuracy I'm looking for. I don't reaload for autos, just try different kind of factory ammo untill one shoots good. I use 150's for my deer hunting.
I'm trying to foind a old Model 4 or one of the engraved Model 7400's, if you know where one is at llet me know. Thanks in advance for the replys.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Remington 7400 accuracy, what can one expec

Concerning my new Remington 7400 in 30-06:

Initially, the first 50 rounds produced jams every third round, so I went to work on it by bedding the action / stock / installing a LimbSaver Barrel De-Resonator / adjusting the trigger to 3 lbs., and dry-firing / working the action 1,000 times.

A major and very thorough cleaning of the action and chamber was performed. Did I say take your time and pay close attention to detail in cleaning the action / chamber / bolt?

Afterwards, the 7400 30-06 has not jammed in the last 200 rounds and is shooting groups that vary between 7/8" and 1 1/8" off a benchrest and 1 3/4" to 2" groups offhand - using 180-gr. Federal Solid Base rounds.

Speer Hot Core 165-gr. were slightly more accurate and shot the smaller groups, with the 180-gr.'s being the largest, but not my a large margin.

Will try some Nosler Ballistic Tips and AccuBonds next.

Steve

P.S. Groups definitely opened up when the barrel's hot, but no accuracy problems in firing a quick 4-round magazine from a cold barrel, as in the worst case hunting situation.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts

I have the 7400 in .270. Mine has jammed......I've only ran about 4 boxes....or 80 rounds through it total......as 2000 rounds is said to be the life of the gun........the action wears out.....don't know that I'd be working the action a lot........

Mine averages about 2" groups at 100 yards......the best 3 round group was 1 1/4 inch.............

I'll probably keep mine, but doubt seriously that I would buy another one......If you like to shoot a lot, this isn't the rifle you want.......

Many post on this subject on the semi auto forum...........some positive posts on the gun, but more negative........

·
Registered
164 Posts

I got a 7400 in .270 caliber.It shoots like crap.It dont jam,just canNot hit
the target,it goes all over the place,I tried different scopes,open sights,I
just about tried everything except a gunsmith.Sometimes I want to throw
the darn thing away. 8)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had one in 308, put the firstand second round just where you want it, Then as barrel heated started walking rounds. It was 100% reliable. I sold it just because I was bored, wish I had it back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts