Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Remington 783 in 308 Win. I was torn between the Ruger American and the Remington. I wanted a cheaper bolt action rifle in 308 that I didn't care about dragging through the woods. I could have purchased the Ruger for 324.00 or the Remington for 219.00.

I handled both rifles extensively. The Ruger had smoother more refined action and the 70 degree bolt was nice. However, the plastic magazine just felt cheap in my opinion. The Remington had a much heavier barrel and a slightly stiffer stock. The Remington was a much heavier rifle. I liked the extra weight as it helps tame recoil a bit. The Remington is made nothing like the 770 predecessor except for looks. This is a much improved rifle. The trigger broke light and crisp with the crossfire trigger system.

The Remington's bolt was initially very rough when I got home. It broke in with time. There was a few sharp edges on the magazine lips, feed rails, and ramp. I fixed this with a little 400 grit. This is something that should have been done at the factory, but this is a cheap rifle.

At the range I fired one brand of factory ammo and was working up some loads for this rifle. The factory brand Winchester Deer Season XP 150gr grouped horrible around 4 inches. I switched to my reloads and the best group I obtained was .625" and the worst was 2.5". Most loads stayed between 1.25 and 1.5 inches. I was firing 3 shot groups incrementally increasing the powder charge. I will be returning to the range to further dial in my load. All rounds were fire in a 3 show sequence allowing 5 minutes between groups. If I would have allowed cooling between groups, I suspect my groups would have been tighter. However, the heavy contour barrel heats up slowly.

Is the Remington 783 as good of a gun as a 700? No, and it wasn't meant to be. The same a the American wasn't meant to compete with the M77. I feel the 783 is a good value for the budget conscience hunter. I would make the same purchase again.

I'll update my post once I get my loads dialed in.

·
Registered
659 Posts
On behalf of the members Thank you for your review. Not to much as been writen about this rifles on line , as they are being compared to the 770 or 710 rifles and this unit is not as one of these . Being a cheap rifle to buy you should understand that there are going to be some rough spots that could be attended to with some sand paper or the like . No this is far from the model 700.
We shall look forward to some more information in how the rifle is working out on the range and maybe share some of the reloads you are using.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 783 is made in the Mayfield, Kentucky plant. I am using Accurate 2495 and 150 grain Sierra Game Kings. The most accurate load so far has been 44.5 grains. 46 grains yielded a 1.25" group. I will be heading back to the range and shoot several more groups.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went back to the range and tried out my new chronograph with this rifle. I only shot the 46 grains of Accurate 2495 with the 150gr Sierra Game Kings. I was averaging about 2880 FPS. 3 shot groups would hold consistent at about 1". However, once the barrel started to get hot on the 4th and 5th shot the groups would start to open up closer to 2 inches. I wasn't allowing any time to cool. It out shoots my Ruger M77 in 270.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I made it back to the range today to check my zero before deer season kicks off. I had made a slight change to my loads. I had removed the crimp. 4 shots came in just over and inch. The flier was my fault. I pulled on that one. I think I am ready for deer season.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Just ordered a 7 Rem Mag w/scope from Buds for $314 including FFL fees. Can't wait for it to arrive!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.