Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My young grandson has his first youth duck hunt coming up.
I'm thinking of surprising him with a new Remington 870 Express 20 gauge.
Would this be a good choice for starting out or is there something better available in this price range?
Also I haven't hunted ducks since we were using lead shot so need some advise on recommended shot size.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Our boy uses #4 steel shot in his 20ga. it has a fixed mod choke. He always seems to come home with ducks. Good choice on the 870. We prefer the mossberg 500. its a little less expensive and easier to clean. When my boy first started I only let him put one shell in the gun and used it as a single shot till I was comfortable with him using the repeater.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I bought my grandson an 870 express Junior (even shorter butt stock than the youth model) 20 gauge through gander mountain when he was 9. Like cudatruck I had him use it as a single shot the first two years. He's now twelve years old 5'0" and 80 pounds and can really make that shotgun work. The good part is that I can add the longer butt stocks so the gun can grow with him until he graduates to a 12 gauge. He'll then have a quality shotgun to pass to his son in the future.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
I have two, both are 20 ga., good shotguns!

They take Rem. chokes, (only one comes with them) so buy the rest and pattern your shotgun with the load of your choice trying different chokes...

That's the only way you will know what shot size is best in YOUR bbl.!!

DM

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use a youth 870 that I have scoped and put an adult length butt stock as my turkey gun. It is a great aimed shotgun, but as shipped with it’s short length barrel it was an awful wing shooting gun for me.

If you’d like I will send you the youth butt stock (just shoot me a PM with your address) which would fit on a normal adult’s 870 express with a long barrel. When the boy gets bigger simply put the adult length butt sock back on and he’ll have a gun he will never outgrow.

For steel shot and ducks over decoys the modified choke the gun comes with should be fine.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
After a few hundred of shells patterning my mossberg I put the mod choke tube in the bird barrel and have never changed in again. For some shots a different choke might be better, but I never seem to have time to change tubes before the shot in the field! The mod just works best on average with everything I might stuff in the tube. Now the short barrel is a different thing. I have a 20 in vent rib with tubes for the gun. I use skeet 1 for buckshot for home defense and a tube that is marked full but shoots like xxfull with the turkey shells of my choice. All that said, when I was younger all anyone that I knew had fixed mod choke barrels and we just learned to shoot em.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts