Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
11,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a letter in the mail from Remington today. Anyone else get it? I haven't paid attention to Rem for a while. What missteps have they taken this time??

Thanks, Dinny

Attachments

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Now that's funny! They admitted (in writing!) they've been turning out junk!! But, thoughtful of them to give you a heads up that better stuff is on the way. :)

Maybe they could recall all of the old stocks of junk that's out there so we'd all know we could buy with confidence!??? Be nice if they would have notified us when they were producing junk.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Dinny, have you sent any of your rifles back for the trigger recall? I think that is what the letter is referring to.

·
11,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dinny, have you sent any of your rifles back for the trigger recall? I think that is what the letter is referring to.
The only Remington I own has a Timney trigger that I installed in it.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts
That's a strange letter. I didn't receive it even though (I can't believe I'm saying this) I actually bought a new Remington this past year. It's a Versa Max 12 gauge and I have to admit I actually love it so far. Shot a lot of trap with it this year and killed a bunch of ducks this fall with it. I know they had issues with it when they first introduced it around 7 years ago (it's Remington after all) but they apparently got the bugs worked out because mine has been dead nuts reliable so far. It is by far the softest shooting 12 gauge I've ever shot. It's so mild I was actually using 3.5" shells during duck season.

·
22,263 Posts
I find it funny that they apologize for guns that even in there worse years outshot the rugers that everyone praises. 77s that don't shoot, revolvers that sound like a rattle when you shake them. Once heard a very prominent man in the gun industry say Smith makes handguns. Ruger makes customizing projects. Sad when your best shooting bolt gun ever is a entry level plastic stocked 400 dollar gun. They do make a good single shot and a good shotgun though. But those aren't given away. I don't think they have a thing to apologize for. Some idiots who don't know the most basic safety law and that's not to point your gun at someone EVER kill people and don't want to take blame so trump up some big story about there triggers (that probably never were cleaned) to suit Remington. Guns that don't shoot??? Ive got an 06 sps bought in that period that an easy 3/4 inch 5 shot group gun. As was my cdl 257wby and my 300 win mag sps would do an inch. Funny I didn't get one of those crappy shooting guns. Guys sure like trying to take down the big dog. I think criticizing rem makes some think they look like a seasoned gun man when in fact it does just the opposite.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Sadly, Rem turned out guns with a problem, and turned out millions of them. In this day and age any gunmaker doesn't have to make a big mistake, since the antis will pursue even the smallest problem to the max.

If you recall, the antis sued and destroyed almost all the small, struggling handgun makers, right out of business.

Sure, some of those guns were junk, but there happened to be some that were good guns also, but the antis didn't care, they just wanted to destroy.

My LGS owner says if Rem were require to rework or replace every bolt action in their 700 series, it could destroy Remington financially, because of the numbers out there in circulation.

I hope this is not a "heads up" of more problems down the road.

·
22,263 Posts
I don't see the problem with them. Myself and many (even some here) have bought them in recent years and have gotten fine guns. I sure cant say that about ruger and wheres the uproar to rebarrel all of them so they actually shoot. Nope, this is just another attack by the antis. The trigger deal was so blown out of proportion that its sickening. 45 years of having rems and even adjust triggers ive never seen even one go off on its own and I sure haven't seen a barrel all on its own point at a human!!! All it was was some people who shot there kid or someone else and rather then take the blame blamed it on some phony "it went off on its own bs" One guy even claimed his went off laying on the bench with the safety on!! Total bs. then the antis ears perked up! "a way to attack a gunmaker" you know they weren't going to pass that up and the real bs is people that shoot even jumped on the bandwagon and bashed them. Most who never even owned a 700. Id sure like to know what all that work your gun dealer says needs to be done is comprised of?? So list those problems for me. Ive heard the safety bs. Ive heard the bolt handle falling off crap. Funny thing is ive yet to personaly see that one either except one idiot at the range that put a load so hot that it locked his bolt up and he had to beat up and back with a 2x4 and a hammer.\

I hear fit and finish is sub standard compared to the old days. Maybe in a matte blued cheap sps but take a bdl or cdl and check it out compared to the old guns and youll actually find better fit and finish. Sorry I call bs on your gun dealer and anyone that bashes remingtons. Its like those who bash new ford or chev trucks. They think it makes them look intelligent when it does just the opposite. They drive there rust buckets because they cant afford a new one. They buy there savage axis and ruger americans because that's what they can afford and think to make them look justified they need to bash the big dogs. Personaly I hope that when my great great grandkids get old enough to buy a gun they can still pick a 700 or 70 because the antis haven't drove them out of business. I also have to say again I laugh my but off at people who bash Remington quality and go and buy a ruger and think they got some premium brand.

Ive owned well over 50 rugers on various types through the years and have seen and shot 1000s. Ive seen more junk and defects slip by quality control with rugers then I have all the other brands combined. Ive had ruger single actions that sounded like a rattle when you shook them. One vaquero that had the grove on the top strap go from the back to the front so crooked it went from one side to the other. I had a #1 257 roberts that the falling block was drilled for the firing pin so far off that it barely hit the brass. Then add to that the couple dozen 77s ive bought and got rid of because they shot more like a shot gun then a rifle. Sound like im a rem fan. Well I guess I am but truth be told I actually prefer a model 70 which I feel today is the best under a 1000 dollar rifle made and much better then any 70 that's came before it.

The whole trigger thing with rem is the same bs that happened to bob baker at Freedom Arms. Some hillbilly shot himself doing quick draws and suited him for not having a transfer bar in his gun. Was the gun defective? **** NO. Its one of the most precise made guns in the world. What was defective was that idiot and the anti gun court system that allowed that bs to happen.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
I hope all here understood..I am not "bashing" Remingtons, but just stating the case..and I didn't expect anyone to immediately jump onto the defensive.
Yes, the action problems have been blown way out of proportion, and the 700 action is good enough for some fine makers to use the 700 action as a raw action to build into their starter models of their sniper type rifles.

I thought it also went without saying, that in order for anyone to get shot..the muzzle has to be pointed at them...that's elementary!

Nor would I use such an occasion to bash Ruger, Savage, CZ, Tikka, Browning, or any other maker...simply because If I complained about a loose lever on a Marlin or sticky bolt on a Browning, that would only work into the anti's favor!

Passing on what my LGS owner said was no attempt to "bash" Remington..so there is no need to become hostile.

[STRIKE] My goodness! Is Swampy back!![/STRIKE] :tango_face_wink: :tango_face_smile: :tango_face_grin: Name calling/personal attack: Graybeard.

·
22,263 Posts
when you say your local gun dealer said that rem would go broke just fixing 700s that are wrong with no examples of where they are wrong that is bashing plain and simple in my book. So what needs fixing on them?? There accurate and are one of the strongest designs of a bolt action rifle and the most rigid action of any over the counter bolt gun. Id love to here all the problems your dealer has had with them.

Not hostile a bit. I think you know me by now well enough to know I have guns from every main stream manufacture and through the years have owned MANY for each. I also have friends that are the same and ive never heard a well know knowledgeable gun man bad mouth a 700. What I see is a bunch of wanabee experts that say bs like that to look like there gun savoy.

Owning a guns shop sure doesn't make you a gun expert. Ive seen some real blow hard idiots that own gun shops. Had one about 10 years ago tell me that that Taurus raging bull 454 in his showcase was brought back because it broke 4 bones in the hand of his buddy who bought it and did it on the first shot. Had another one make me chuckle about a year ago. He had 4 bare lowers on the shelf. two psas for 60 bucks each a dpms for 80 and a ruger for a 150! I asked him why and he said that ruger does a lot better job and there much more precise. They all come off the exact same assembly line.

I can go on and on with idiot gun dealers. Yup id be awful interested in hearing his bs answer to what those problems were. Im always up for a good laugh. So when you resort to a personal attack like calling me swampy when I own at least as many rifles from different manufactures then you do in probably more calibers and defend a GOOD gun maker then I take offense from it. If I were you before you pass on anymore bs by that wanabe gun expert id find a new dealer. Because that one is smoking crack. What you wont find in either of these two posts is a personal attack. Seems if anything its you that's getting hostile.

·
22,263 Posts
so you answer with another personal attack!!!!
OK..if somebody says black..you argue white..if somebody says short..you argue tall, if somebody says oak..you will argue hickory..carry on Bernie...or is it Nancy ? !

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Same here, notice how IG asked a question and ended it with a question mark and it was perceived as a statement and an attack and not a question?

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
My son had a Remington that went off twice for no reason he mentioned it to me I told him what the problem was he ordered out a new after market trigger I installed it problem solved Remington knew about the problem and should have fixed when it was a small problem.

Deaconllb

Reactions: coyotejoe

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Not speaking on all of Remington, but the 700 platform is about as good as it gets for a mass produced rifle. I have several and all shoot under MOA and some of them in the zone of +$10k custom rigs. All of mine have some customization to make them better, triggers, stocks, bedding etc. But only one of them has been touched by a gunsmith and that one (300 RUM) had a new pipe put on after first one lost accuracy. The last one I bought was a PCR in 6.5 Creedmoor, all I did was put a Timney in it and it's the most accurate rifle I own, legitimately a .3 MOA rifle.

I am interested in seeing what changes Remington has coming up! I know there is a lot of bashing on them, but I guess I am in the realm of accepting that when I buy a production rifle, there are things that can be improved to make it better. I will say, their triggers suck and most stocks too for that matter, But for a couple hundred bucks you can turn a standard production rifle with an excellent action into a sweet rig. Not that long ago Savage was considered the Walmart of rifles, now they produce some excellent rifles and if Remington rebrands to that extent I am very excited to see what they have to offer...

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
My son had a Remington that went off twice for no reason he mentioned it to me I told him what the problem was he ordered out a new after market trigger I installed it problem solved Remington knew about the problem and should have fixed when it was a small problem.

Deaconllb
I'm not saying all, but most of the trigger issues were from guys who did not know what they were doing trying to adjust the original 700 trigger, even though they were great triggers and quite easy to adjust to become excellent triggers. I have an original that I adjusted to just under 3# and you cannot tell the difference between that and any of my Timney's. Their X Mark Pro triggers,,, all of them that came with my rifles went to the circular bin.

·
11,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I vote for "Swampy"

Thanks, Dinny

·
22,263 Posts
kind of like this is a statement or an attack and not a question! (note no question mark because there is no question as to the motive) Funny how this had absolutely nothing to do with you but you still had to get your cheap shot in. Same three just a different section.
Same here, notice how IG asked a question and ended it with a question mark and it was perceived as a statement and an attack and not a question?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts