Graybeard Outdoors banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Mine aren't for sale. Oddly, my favorite, go-to deer rifle is a plain vanilla 270 ADL. A close second is my 700 in 7mm-08. But alas, there is the Mountain 280 laminated a6nd the 06 from 1967, and the stainless Mo7 in 308. How do I love thee, let me count the ways.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sadly, I only have my Remington 700 SPS in 22-250 left. My first 700 BDL 30-06 that I bought in 70 got stolen in a house break in and then I had a great 700 Varmint in 22-250 that I had fully accurized and cost me a fortune after getting it all done and even though I could count on it to hit a groundhog between the eyes at 300 yards, I ended up selling it after a few years ,simply because it needed wheels to get anywhere. I hated the weight. That's how I ended up with a Remington SPS in 22-50,though now I have to settle for 1-1/8" groups at best with just about any of my handloads I try and call it good. I blame that on the SPS stock though and I thought about bedding it but bedding and SPS stocks don't adhere well together. Wood is king here. Mine is still stock with not even being free floated. I had a friend that had one and he swore that free floating was the way to go so he did his and even removed the pressure point at the end of the forearm where Remington always put it. When all was said and done and it was fully free floated it shot 4 inch groups. That scared me out of doing it.
If I lived in a State where I wasn't confined to just straight wall cartridges for deer, like here in Ohio, I'd hunt down another Remington BDL or ADL.

·
Super Moderator
11,040 Posts
Jump Master, without pulling out hair or chasing the accuracy rabbit further down its hole, maybe purchase a custom gun before "giving up" at 1.125" groups. The sky is the limit, but I'm thinking for the price of about three mediocre guns, a custom gun can be purchased. Why not buy a tack driver that has been scrutinized, accurized, and is a pleasure to shoot from day one? We only go around the sun "so many" times. Maybe the pursuit of happiness should include a custom rifle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jump Master, without pulling out hair or chasing the accuracy rabbit further down its hole, maybe purchase a custom gun before "giving up" at 1.125" groups. The sky is the limit, but I'm thinking for the price of about three mediocre guns, a custom gun can be purchased. Why not buy a tack driver that has been scrutinized, accurized, and is a pleasure to shoot from day one? We only go around the sun "so many" times. Maybe the pursuit of happiness should include a custom rifle.
My friend, I couldn't agree with you more but at 74 years old, I have already been around the sun a few times already. At the moment, I am contemplating on a new stock at least for the Remington SPS. It is a 22-250 with the sporter style barrel and not the varmint heavy barrel. That might be the least cost option to getting me close to what I expect for varmint accuracy.

·
Super Moderator
11,040 Posts
I read your "signature" and KNOW that you have been around, which is why I thought that "going for broke" on a custom rifle, at our age (I'm closing the gap on you every year), might not be such a bad idea. Change the entire way of moving forward, rather than trying the same old same old without achieving a better result.

If a new stock for the SPS is satisfying your itch, then I won't try to change your mind. After all, it is YOUR itch to scratch in this common hobby.

There are few varmints here (E. Central FL), but good sized feral pigs (mostly), and there are no "long ranges" in the forests and piney uplands along the flood plains of the St. Johns River. The fast, tiny, explosive "pills", which satisfy many in the shooting of P-dogs and Whistle Pigs "a mite far out" are not adequate for short range, point and shoot, brush busters like the 30-30, not another step with a 270 or 308, and drop 'em in their tracks with a Nosler Partition and its extreme transfer of energy passing through.

Anchor them on the spot or potentially lose them in the thick of saw palmetto, muhly grass, wax myrtle, and oak hammock. No one should crawl on hands and knees searching for blood spots that lead to an angry, injured, adrenaline laced, muscle-on-steroids, Hogzilla waiting in ambush at the end of that line for whatever is pursuing it. That is a recipe for a whole lot of hurt!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I read your "signature" and KNOW that you have been around, which is why I thought that "going for broke" on a custom rifle, at our age (I'm closing the gap on you every year), might not be such a bad idea. Change the entire way of moving forward, rather than trying the same old same old without achieving a better result.

If a new stock for the SPS is satisfying your itch, then I won't try to change your mind. After all, it is YOUR itch to scratch in this common hobby.

There are few varmints here (E. Central FL), but good sized feral pigs (mostly), and there are no "long ranges" in the forests and piney uplands along the flood plains of the St. Johns River. The fast, tiny, explosive "pills", which satisfy many in the shooting of P-dogs and Whistle Pigs "a mite far out" are not adequate for short range, point and shoot, brush busters like the 30-30, not another step with a 270 or 308, and drop 'em in their tracks with a Nosler Partition and its extreme transfer of energy passing through.

Anchor them on the spot or potentially lose them in the thick of saw palmetto, muhly grass, wax myrtle, and oak hammock. No one should crawl on hands and knees searching for blood spots that lead to an angry, injured, adrenaline laced, muscle-on-steroids, Hogzilla waiting in ambush at the end of that line for whatever is pursuing it. That is a recipe for a whole lot of hurt!
Lol, love your story but you left out the rattle snakes that might be waiting for you as you crawl on the Florida floor to track your prey.
I had an aunt and uncle that lived in Florida when I was a young kid and they had to go chase the Rattlers away off their concrete pad before we could go out and play. They gave us strict warnings about venturing off into those thickets you talk about which was just behind their trailer home about 50 yards away.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts