Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well when I picked everything up today, at my local dealer he seemed surprized to hear that I was going to order several more barrels thru H&R 1871. He stated that the Remington representative told him that there is no more barrels or program. I told Randy that if he would just look on the H&R 1871 web site under the Barrel Accessory Program, that he would see that barrels are infact still available and the ones no longer available are so stated by H&R 1871

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

So if your local dealer says he heard this from a Remington Rep, tune them into the H&R 1871 web site to get the straight scoop on things.

·
Super Moderator
51,500 Posts
Probably just confused due the lack of barrels available for the barrel programs, I did just learn their priority for barrels goes to the new firearm market, kinda figured that tho.

Tim

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yeah, but that's a big boo-boo. The barrel program is one of the major selling points for the H&R's around here. Tell people it's gone and they'll start buying stinking Rossi's, then the Handi's will start to die....

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
My guess woud be that less then .5% of the people who buy a H&R rifle or shotgun even know about the barrel program, it would be interesting to know the real numbers, but I bet it is extremely low. Larry

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
I've heard and read many times where people get the Rossi and Handi mixed up and think you can buy barrels for the Rossi, so yes I agree that it is a major selling point, and what most of the time makes the difference for those looking for a single shot rifle.

It was for me when I first found out about Handi's, and what caused me to buy one!

·
Administrator
26,228 Posts
The "Remington Rep" probably doesn't even work for Remington but merely for the wholesaler that he gets his Remington guns thru. It's possible they might be a Remington employee but doubtful and even if so would be an older one from the days long before Remington bought out Marlin and NEF/H&R product lines.

Most such wholesaler representatives work for the wholesaler not for the gun makers.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
When my son was 8 years old, I bought him a Rossi single shot and they told me when I bought it that Rossi was structuring a barrel program and at that time it was even mentioned on their website. He will now be 15 within a month or so and they still don't have a barrel program. Maybe they will have a program by the time he hands it down to his kid someday......

It seems that the HR Barrel program is struggling and there are plenty of folks standing here with money ready to spend on accessory barrels many of which are not available. The market is calling them, I just don't get it. Why can't they deliver? Do we need after market barrel companies like there are for the TC rifles? I would think the HR would want to protect that piece of business. If it is not profitable, do they need to raise the price?

Now, I work for a large corporation, and I do see cuts happen that are very short sighted and senseless that ultimately hurt production but "look" good on the books for the time being. Maybe the barrel program is a victim of that? If that is the case, I guess I can understand.

LM

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
From what Tim and others have said, the complete rifle market is the most profitable and first priority to Remington's immediate sales/profit wise. That's just business. When complete gun orders are filled production can go back to barrel program needs. The people interested in after market barrels will be there after Christmas and hunting season are over and still want thier particular product. I know I am waiting until the rush is over to get other calibers. I have something else to hunt with or shoot until then.

Even with prices a bit higher, where else can you get the options for the price in a firearm so effective and fun for the money? Plus you can make just about anything reasonable caliber wise or looks wise on this platform. JMHO, eddiegjr

PS: If you need a hunting or shooting arm immediatly the barrel program isn't the answer. There are lots of inexpensive arms out there, but few have the potential of the H&R.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
I think that the Remington top people probably would compare the barrel program to Remington's custom shop and probably think it should bring in the same kind of income as it does. I think we all know that this is unlikely to happen, you can't charge $200.00 for a barrel for a $250.00 rifle. The H&R's are a high volume low profit line for Remington, so they need to reduce any cost associated with it that they can. If the barrel program ends up one Cent shy of that at the end of the year, there will be calls from the top to dump it. With the prices they are charging for barrels now I cannot see how it is making any money for them. Larry

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
Trotterlg, It could be (probable) that the cost of all the people involved in handleing/marketing the barrel is greater than the cost of actually makeing the barrel.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Likely what is keeping it alive now is that they probably do the repair work on returned rifles in the same place so the cost is shared, I cannot beleve that they make any money selling a barrel for what they get and have to fit and test fire it. Someone has to check it in, they have to store and track it, someone has to work on it, then ship it back, all the time keeping the paper trail that the feds want kept. Larry

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
A T/C barrel costs 2-3 times as much as a Handi barrel. Are they 2-3 times as good?....I don't think so. I own T/C rifles and Handis, and I can't see a heck of a lot of difference for the value. H&R could improve the blueing, double the price and still be under T/C. The finish on Handi Barrels leaves a lot to be desired.

Pete

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
quickdtoo said:
More misinformed Remington staff. ::)

Tim
Tim it did not surprize me, as Randy even indicated that NOW another buy out is in the works. More rumor, so guy's check this out to see at various outlets. The new rumor is that SAVAGE or the company that owns SAVAGE is making a run at purchasing Remington, Marlin, H&R 1871, New England Firearms.

Go figure ::)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts