Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting a Browning A-Bolt Medallion with Boss for about a year. I don't reload and have shot the Winchester 45 gr. varmint ammo with good success. Also have shot some Winchester 55 gr. soft point and it did well. I just got a Remington VS SF and used the same ammo but it shoots everywhere. I am confident in the scope setup so I'm guessing it does not like the ammo. I plan on trying Supremes this coming weekend but if it won't shoot them, me and the Remington are gonna part company. Has anyone had this problem and can anyone suggest a factory load that this thing will shoot.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Wow, that sounds very strange. :?

I have a VS SF in .308 and it shoots just about every factory load under 1 inch.

Is there anything inside the barrel that is causing problems? Are there any burrs on the crown? If yes, then you may need to have it recrowned. In the meantime, make sure that the barrel is clean and try other ammo. Personally, I would stay away from the moly coated crap.

Zachary

·
Registered
237 Posts
hardly said:
I have been shooting a Browning A-Bolt Medallion with Boss for about a year. I don't reload and have shot the Winchester 45 gr. varmint ammo with good success. Also have shot some Winchester 55 gr. soft point and it did well. I just got a Remington VS SF and used the same ammo but it shoots everywhere. I am confident in the scope setup so I'm guessing it does not like the ammo. I plan on trying Supremes this coming weekend but if it won't shoot them, me and the Remington are gonna part company. Has anyone had this problem and can anyone suggest a factory load that this thing will shoot.
******I had one do the same thing and it turned out that the stock/action is very sensitive to stock torque with the factory HS Precision stock....I had the action screws torqued to 55INCH lbs and back to great grouping..and I mean great.....high .2 low .3 five shot groups at 100yds prone with bags..with BR type handloads with Hornady 55VMax and 52 Berger fbhp......H335...........I had just changed scopes and took stock/action apart and then all over the paper...thought it was the scope.........then someone on another board told about their problem and the torque solution and I tried it and great.....if you don't have a inch lb torque wrench the normal size hex/allen wrench with the long end in the screw and the short end to turn will get close with firm finger tightening with a seesaw slow back and forth tightening of the action screws....HTH...good luck and good shooting!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
So Hardly, did you ever find out what was going on with your VSSF? You posted on my question about breaking in the barrel on my VSSF and I was just curious. I gotta tell ya', I took mine out for it's second round of shooting and it just blew me away. I don't consider myself an expert by any means, but that gun sure makes me look good. After about 30 rounds or so @ 100 yards(no cleaning in between this time), I put the target out to 200 and shot 2 five shot groups. The first one averaged about 3", but the second......let's just say that 3 of my shots were touching, one was about 1/2" away from the first 3, and the last one I threw about 2 inches to the left. I've never shot that well before.....EVER....and I truly chalk it up to luck. But those 3 that were touching really made me excited. And again, with the cheap Win. Value Pak ammo in 45 gr. I guess my gun REALLY likes that ammo. Anyway, if I figure out how to post pics, I'll put the target up here somewhere. Again, I hope yours makes you as happy as mine makes me. Good luck!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Five 0 in ND,

Just back from a weekend at our lake club and am happy to report that the VSSF appears to be "broke in". I also am shooting the cheap winchester 45 gr. I did the five shot and clean routine you talked about and after 15 rounds, (55 total rounds shot at this point) the grouping suddenly tighted up. My buddys and I do a lot of shooting at 20oz. plastic water bottles. I had consecuative hits at 100, 125, 175, and 240yds. Also two hits on 2 liter coke bottles at 300 yds. We are scheduled to coyote hunt next weekend, looks like the Browning will stay in the safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.