Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some info. I have acquired two carbide miners lamps. Neither one (a Justrite and a Guy's Dropper) has a burner tip. I shall have to make them. What I do not know is the size of the orifice.
Any help is appreciated.
Pete

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
I know nothing about carbide lamps.

Whenever I encounter any type of repair problem I haven't done before the first thing I usually do is go to youtube and do a few searches. Surprising what you can learn about offbeat things on there.

You may not find the answer you're looking for, but you might get a hint where else to look.

As with anything on the internet it's "viewer beware" until you verify the information!

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
check with your local welding supply.
they'll have the carbide you'll be needing and
a proper tip cleaner for torches that won't damage
the orifice (after you find or make one) and most
likely will have a source or be able to direct you to
someplace that probably has the correct part you need.
i would imagine if they have carbide that a lot
of lamp users trade there and can probably direct you
where you need to go

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Pete. I’m curious as to what you are planning to do with this old technology?

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pete. I’m curious as to what you are planning to do with this old technology?
Fair question. I am probably not going to do anything other than get the things back in working order. I enjoy taking old stuff and making it work again.
It started with old gasoline blow lamps (plumbers torches). I have about 50 of them. Then I moved on to kerosene torches and then to kerosene camping stoves and then to lanterns.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
We used the soot produced to blacken the sights on our match rifles to reduce glare.
Yes. I have one of those little burners. I use it to darken the sights on a Pardini Free pistol.

·
Registered
24,772 Posts
I'm thinking the Brooklyn Museum might have information and examples of these lamps and things.
.TM7

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I think there will be some latitude on orifice size, much like oxy-acetylene torches, the one link spoke of flame size from 1" or 2" up to 4, 5 or 6".
I thought this was interesting-https://youtu.be/UqXnBXmPQ3U
and making your own from plastic pipe- he talks about the orifice size being about a number 80, looks like he couldn't drill that small so he punched around the hole to bring it down in size.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
A clever fellow for sure. I have seen that video. That is a project for the future. The hard part is the dripper. His solution is elegant.
His is simpler than the real thing. He has not included the felt filters that the originals have.
Also...the flame on his brass lamp is producing soot. When the orifice is correct, the flame is very bright and about the same diameter as a smallish knitting needle....no turn up and minimal soot.

Two possible orifice sizes mentioned so far. 28 AWG wire = 0.0126" dia.. Number 80 drill = 0.0135" dia..
Many of the originals used a machined bit of tube that was either threaded or coned for an interference fit. Tube was drilled to a largish size and then packed with a hard substance called Lava. The Lava was perforated/drilled to the proper size.
Pete

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The orifice on the left is too big.
The one on the right is perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,772 Posts
Coincidentally I was doing research on a unrelated justice topic, and an outfit called Justrite popped up. They supply all manner of parts and supplies to keep these old lamps running.
.TM7

1 - 16 of 16 Posts